We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya security

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Kenya security

In light of recent kidnappings in Kenya is it advisable to reconsider traveling there? I'm planning to travel to watamu in November, although it is far from were the kidnappings haven taken place I'm still quite worried.

Any suggestions

Concerned traveler!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya security

Hi,

if you are on the main tourist routes nothing has changed, Kenya is just about as safe as any holiday destination. The risk area is the relatively remote area around Lamu and the Somali border, quite a long way from Watamu.

Watamu in particular has been discussed at some length, please see

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294210-i9512-k4…

This is one of my postings on that thread

❝I do not have to make a decision as I live here on the Coast, North of Mombasa and around 45 miles south of Watamu, so i won't try and influence your decision.

But to give you a bit of context, Its around 280km as the crow flies from Watamu to the Somali border

Watamu is on the main Mombasa - Malindi Highway, you have the major tourist town of Malindi between you and Lamu and then its another100km from Lamu to the border

It is north of Malindi that things start become less accessible, and a further thing about Lamu, Manda, etc that makes them a little more remote (and therefore part of their charm) is that they are islands.

From Lamu, Manda, etc the pirates / terrorists which ever they turn out to be have only 65 miles to safety in Somali, from Watamu they would have to run around 160. (Presumably the FCO advice on 150 kms- 93 miles is based on a distance greater tnan that the criminals might expect a reasonable chance of evading capture whilst escaping by sea.

This article explains why the hotels and resorts in the Lamu area have been so vulnerable to these attacks, TBBC is not like that it is a more conventional resort

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Resort+owners+police+caught+off+guard/-/1056/1246854/-/2xijwv/-/index.html ❞

There have been lots of other threads about safety on the forums in the last few days, if you are interested these are some of them

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k4…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k4…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294210-i9512-k4…

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya security

I travelled for Kenya to UK on 9th August and almost as soon as I arrived, I got messages from Kenya about my safety here in the light of the news of the English riots.

Doffcocker's advice is very sensible.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya security

Sorry - edit function refused to work!!

It should read "from Kenya to UK".

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya security

Thanks Doffcocker

Really helpful as always!

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya security

Thanks Asiwife

6. Re: Kenya security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 12:15