We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

mombasa
Level Contributor
81 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

I just find it unfair for TripAdvisor to mark Kenya as unsafe destination with security alert on its home page. The alert by the US embassy is not even current dated 28th Dec 2010. Mexico has a more recent alert yet TA has not seen the need to place such a drastic alert. I am a player in the industry and I would like the management of TA to urgently review this and remove the alert which is making a destination like Kenya loose business and look like it is a dangerous spot in the world. We value the contribution of TA and will appreciate if you review this unwarranted mark on whole destination Kenya.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

Perhaps I can offer some thouights on this. I have a current interest at the moment, researching safety/risk for a college trip.

For me TA are doing the right thing for those who do not check on FCO site

(for travellers from UK) because Kenya is flagged with several warnings.

Whilst you may say you feel it's safe, TA would be in neglect if not drawing attention to such warnings. The FCO comments and recommendations must be there for some reason, and it goes wider than the coast and Somalia. It's not out of date, go to FCO and see the comments for yourself.

I think I have a failrly common mind-set when researching on TA forums, I have had a lot of reassurance from kind forum members regarding safety but I will say with all due respect two important things:

1, I would not allow a warning on TA to put me off.

2, I would not allow assurance on forum to persuade me to visit a place that has serious concerns.

In other words TA does not make my decisions, it's just a rsearch tool to be used alongside others points of info.

TA is for information and research. As I've noted the FCO comments, I'm researching local news and getting advice all around. From TA forums it's all positive, elsewhere not so positive so I think no blame for any loss of buisness to Kenya should be placed on TA, more likely the opposite is true.

Stoofer

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

Nicely put, Stoofer and a very balanced reply.

(you must like Harry Hill with a name like that??)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

i think you are blowing things all out of proportion if you read the travel advisery it tell you 150kn from the samolia boarder not the whole of kenya the FCO is British and up to date,

i for 1 am going to Kenya (watamu) next week and looking forward to it greatly.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

MinMcloud, Thanks, and yep, and yep I have a black cat! :-)

who's blowing things out of proportion, sgt961?

Suggest read FCO again, it warns about Nairobi, townships, golf courses etc. State department as seen here, all updated today 7th October.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm not posting here as a warning, I'm saying TA (if anything) keep visitors coming rather than putting them off. If it was me looking to visit and not me looking regarding a minor everything I've read would result in me visiting Kenya. I do have reservations for kids without parents but that's personal opinion.

I do understand extreme and alarmist reporting, Belgrade and Serbia have been on the sharp end of it for 15- years.

Stoofer

nyc
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

The alert shown on my page (living in US), refers to a 'warning' from US State Department only, no other country. It's also the same 'warning" that has been issued since the '98 Embassy bombings (old news, that is reissued every 6-8/mos)... nothing at all mentioned about Somali pirates, kidnappings from Lamu area, etc. And, last such US warning is dated in 2010... same ole, same ole.

And, if TA wants to now post such warnings, the same should be for the many destinations worldwide where there are upheavals.

So OP is right in the assessment. Kenya is a large country and because of these unfortunate incidents in/around the Malindi/Lamu areas, it shouldn't hold for the entire country. It's like advising visitors to the US, if there were riots in (name city), not to visit elsewhere.

Better, the comment from TA would be to simply direct travelers to contact their 'own' countries FCO, State Dept or whatever they're called elsewhere.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

In fact, I've never seen such 'scare' notice on TA since I've been posting. Not even after the elections a few years back, when the US didn't forbide their citizens from visiting, rather the usual... be aware of your surroundings!

Florida
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

Yes, a lot of the confusion here is because the OP is coming in via tripadvisor.com, not tripadvisor.co.uk.

I was also confused when this notice suddenly appeared despite the fact that the US has not made any change in the status of their travel advisory for a very long time. In fact, there's been relatively little media coverage of the recent kidnappings here.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

OK. this is the warning.

<<From the U.S. State Department:

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Kenya. U.S. citizens in Kenya and those considering travel to Kenya should evaluate their personal security situation in light of continuing threats from terrorism and the high rate of violent crime. ...

Violent and sometimes fatal criminal attacks, including armed carjackings, home invasions/burglaries and kidnappings can occur at any time and in any location, particularly in Nairobi. ...

U.S. citizens in Kenya should be extremely vigilant with regard to their personal security, particularly in public places frequented by foreigners such as clubs, hotels, resorts, upscale shopping centers, restaurants, and places of worship. U.S. citizens should also remain alert in residential areas, at schools, and at outdoor recreational events. .>>.

I see that as the same bog standard warning that has been around for years. It is on TA.com. So what? If you heeded some warnings you would not go down to the local shops at home. viz the 'warnings' around Ugandan elections earlier this year when US Embassy staff were packed and ready to flee. They are warnings.

What the OP is saying, and with which I heartily agree, is why single out Kenya. I don't see warnings for Mexico, Ecuador or the UK on those Fora. Nothing on Serbia as Stoofer says. Why Kenya and why now??

Edited: 07 October 2011, 19:04
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
231 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

I don't see it as just a "so what". To have TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS after an exclamation mark in red is sure to frighten many travellers.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Travel Alert on Kenya by Tripadvisor is not correct

I agree Paula. That was my point. A 'so what' warning dressed up in red will panic a lot. Why Kenya Forum and why now?