We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More kidnappings!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
More kidnappings!

It seems 2 Spanish females have been kidnapped according to early reports from or near to Daadap. This area is close to the Somali border, around 75 miles away.

Before all may run amok here i thought i would post this.

All in all this again does not have much implications on the toursim as it is in area no tourist wants or needs to be.

However, the pattern of kidnappings in Kenya is becoming a worry.

Tourists need to stay in main tourist resorts such as Mombasa (North and South coasts) , Malindi, and the main safari parks your going to be fine. The risk of kidnapping in these areas would be very very remote and in fact negligable.

What you dont want to be doing is heading north up the coast off the beaten track or staying in secluded places like the travel warnings instruct.

If you stick to this common sense approach then you will have a enjoyable time and wont notice any problems.

Im off next week to Mombasa.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 19:08
London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: More kidnappings!

malla,

Doff beat you to it at about 3.30..................................he's got fast fingures that lad!!

GJ

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More kidnappings!

Twas actually earlier. Do keep up GJ.

<<Oct 13, 2011, 9:44 AM>>

Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More kidnappings!

I am going to bamburi next week. Hopefully this area is ok. We are staying in a "proper" resort . But I am easily scaremongered by the press...

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More kidnappings!

Stop reading the papers and enjoy your holiday. Bamburi is no where near the sites of the kidnappings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: More kidnappings!

Helen,

As Min says, stop worrying and go and enjoy................they have nothing better to write about now they can't hack phones!!

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More kidnappings!

Helenink, If you don't want to go I will go in your place : -) Hakuna Matata. !!

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More kidnappings!

These were doctors working with Medecins Sans Frontiers, not tourists and were working in a very high risk environment. I know because my cousin is one of the drivers for the volunteer doctors at Dadaab, which is a Somali refugee camp.

I don't think that this incident should be related to tourism - the circumstances are very different.

Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More kidnappings!

Thank you all for your comments xx

9. Re: More kidnappings!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 03:17