We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Arrival Procedures

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Nairobi Arrival Procedures

Can anybody advise me why the previously simple Visa on Arrival process has been made vastly more difficult by the requirement to take fingerprints and photos. On my arrival off BA on 01 Oct I was nearly first off the aircraft and yet had to wait over 1hr 45mins while everybody wanting a visa on arrival was both fingerprinted and photographed. (I wonder if fingerprinting without permission is legal ?) I asked what would happen if I refused to give my fingerprints and the answer was that I would be refused entry!

I have a feeling that the US is using Kenya as a means of increasing its database ???

Strangely, I also had my fingerprints taken on departure. Maybe somebody should advise the general travelling public of this Kenyan requirement.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nairobi Arrival Procedures

<<Kenya remains one of the few holiday destinations that charges for a visitors visa>>

Sorry, Not so Steve!

Uganda $50, Tanzania $50, Zambia $60, Zimbabwe $60 and that's just some Commonwealth countries. Try the Ex Comecons and China. India?

Even the alledged Land of the Free would dearly love to charge us for a Visa but dare not. So they compell us to use the stupid E.S.T.A process and then surprise surprise, they have the bleedin cheek to charge for that!

Kenya is all to well aware of the need to let tourists in smoothly and actually reduced the Visa costs by half for a while last year.

I am one who passionately beleives in a Man's right to travel unfettered anywhere he so chooses without Visas but it is something I have to live with in this troubled world.

I will let Doff answer how he escapes scrutiny. He should have had breakfast by now!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Nairobi Arrival Procedures

Steve,

If you are referring to Doff, he is not 'of the nation', he just spend a great deal of time there! I have never had any problems at Nairobi and always managed to get through before the baggage. As for the fingerprinting, that is life nowadays, as for illegal, no, not at all, you consent when you put your hand on the scanner..........you can always refuse and be deported. I think it is a great shame that we don't do it here!

I don't know that many places worth visiting that don't charge for a Visa?! China, Laos, Cambodia, Viet Nam, Thialand.......just thought I'd cover the East.

If you want drama, try a trip across Russia.........now that is a Form and a half!!

GJ

Doff - They can't trust you that much, they have only ever done me once; since the first time I am obviously on their system............hang on, maybe it is me they don't trust and hence why they keep my details!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Nairobi Arrival Procedures

Alsacienne,

We are not talking about Rugby anymore; unless of course the Kiwi's win!!

GJ

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,397 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nairobi Arrival Procedures

Hi,

I'm not as yet a Kenyan resident, though I am considering applying, in the 5 years I've been coming to Kenya I have on average entered and left 3 times a year, so far visas have been significantly cheaper than residency.

The majority of my entries have been with single trip visas bought on arrival, only this year have i had a multi-trip visa. I will admit to cheating if the queues were too large for my liking, I have in the past used the queue for people with visas to buy a visa, if it was much shorter. This year I have also used the desk for EAC citizens because the queue for people with visas was as long as the one for visa on arrival. (I have seen airport staff direct people to other desks anyway when the queues are long.)

It sounds that last time you were unlucky and hit when a number of flights landed at the same time.

To pick up the point about paying for visas I have paid for them in many countries, for example in several in formerly Communist eastern Europe and in South Seat Asia, it is an easy way of their governments acquiring valuable foreign currency directly. Even the EU countries charge for visas for people coming from outside the EU, it costs €60 for a Schengen visa.

(Mfuwe, it was actually my morning walk to the shops - we are two hours ahead of you - shortly to be 3)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,397 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nairobi Arrival Procedures

GJ,

Oh I'm on their system alright, last time the clerk laughed when I handed my passport over and said 'How long this time?'

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nairobi Arrival Procedures

<<(Mfuwe, it was actually my morning walk to the shops >>

Well I took the soft option, I could have said you would respond when sobered up but thought breakfast sounded better.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Nairobi Arrival Procedures

Hi. Points taken. My most recent alternative trips have involved OZ, West Indies and Europe where no cost for visa. You may be right about a number of flights arriving at the same time, but as I am sure you will agree 1hr 45 on that slope down to immigration is something that I would not wish to repeat.

I still remain unconvinced at the security value of taking fingerprints of everybody on a BA flight from London, unless your prints are already held on a ( criminal ) database.

I think a lot of the delay on my day was due to quite a few people asking why the prints were being taken, and what happened to them after the fact.

I asked the same question, as well as what would happen if I refused, and the answer was : "dont know, its just my job, and you would be refused entry"

Undoubtably I shall return to NBO next year and will update progress then.

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Nairobi Arrival Procedures

I'm pretty sure my last Oz Visa (now ETA) cost me, twas about £20.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Nairobi Arrival Procedures

<<quite a few people asking why the prints were being taken, and what happened to them after the fact. >>

Obviously these experienced travellers have never been to USA where not only all ten fingers but your Retina is scanned. Blame them for your delay not the Kenyans!

It would have been the same even had you had your Visa.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Nairobi Arrival Procedures

Not any more. On line visas for OZ for UK citizens are now free. They have been for a few years. This I know to be true as my daughter lives in Perth and I visit each year.