We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya verses Tanzania

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya verses Tanzania

As my previous post show, my wife and I are planning a safari to East africa with our 2 daughters. After A LOT of research, I am starting to question our decision on kenya verses Tanzania. My original plan was a combination trip to both Keny and TZ. However, after research we settled on Kenya this year and TZ a year or so later. Now I am questioning it.

I know I have posted several times, and I apologize for that, but here is now a pressing question based on a quite a few threads, time of year, possbile political unrest and road conditions.

IF you are taking a first time safari with 2 kids (age 10 and 12 at time of travel).

AND IF, you are stuck with only about 12 days in country

AND IF you MUST travel the last 2 weeks in March due to other issues right now

AND IF you want to usually spend 3-4 days on a few locations instead of fastracking across the country daily

AND IF you are more atune to game watching (variety and big game) and landscape/scenerey

THEN would you:

1. Go to TZ or Kenya first trip if money was not too big of a deal (within reasonish..)

2. Go to TZ or Kenya if budget was an issue (in other words is cost the driving factor).

PLEASE do not post on a specific outfitter on this post, it will be ignored. I don't want to hear your first ever TA post about your trip last week with the greatest outfitter ever and yet no one has ever heard of them......

I realize this is a Kenya forum...

Thanks

Stephen

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kenya verses Tanzania

I am one of those who responded on the TZ forum and as predicted recommended TZ, and despite the brickbats I will do so here too. March and Serengeti/Ndutu area are just wildlife Mecca. I fact I have no doubt that availabilty may be a problem this close in. But I did not receommend TZ purely on bias. It is a great place to go to and gives more of a wilderness feel than the crowds of Maasai Mara and Amboseli. I also suggested that Stephen went to Kenya first as otherwise it would be in danger of comparing badly with TZ when they visit there.

That's about it except to query, as others have, GJ's use of the word 'civilised'. To my mind both countries have the infrastructure to enable the niceties of life to be conducted in safety and comfort.

I have never taken kids but some folks say I have not grown up myself yet so I do feel able to comment on that aspect. Yes, you need to keep an eye on the blighters, just as you should at home, but with a different emphasis.

Yes, do get them to report in before heading into the bush with a spade, or even moving from Tent to Restaurant to Pool. That is common sense and applies to Kenya, Tanzania or even Battersea.

GJ. Do tell the 11 yr old lady that you are not meant to "jump up and down" when using long drops. Easy over does it just as well. LoL.

Tip. TZ longdrops have lids too!

12. Re: Kenya verses Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 11:21