We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

CNN posted an alert today that has our kids worried.

We have been following TA and the State Dept

advisories for the past few months. Many thanks to Doff, Steph, 4 sandi and mfume for all the info. NY times travel section today also has a section on "cheap safaris" due to Kenya's tourist fall out!!! We are due to leave 11/8 for a 10 day safari to Samburu, Gilgil and Masa Mara- should we be worried? our travel agency does not appear to be or are the gods crazy!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

sandi,

Perhaps you missed it; but shrapnel I flying around Nairobi, twice in fact!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15435663

GJ

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,428 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

You do not even have to spend a single night in Nairobi if you don't want to.

Fly in from Europe on one of teh many flights that leave late afternoon/early evening.

Arrive NBO around 6.am, get in car and go on Safari.

Rtn the same way by a late flight from NBO 22.00 or so. Arrive Europe 6am.

Edited: 24 October 2011, 20:32
nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

harping -

Those shown in the NYT article are from some of the most expensive tour operators and using the top accommodations. Believe me, safaris can be had for more competitive prices in both Kenya and Tanzania.

NJ
7 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

Thanks mfuwe, I think thats what we might do.

Pay a nominal fee to change our flights to arrive earlier and head straight out on safari. We were thinking of flying into Tanzania and then taking a flight to Wilson to continue on to the lodge but Wilson is still basically in Nairobi, right? So there really wouldn't be any difference if we flew to Tanzania first, plus we'd have to do a lot more traveling. Thanks for all the help everyone!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

haddon,

WIL is in Nairobi yes, as we have said, it is hard to find an alternative route without generating a nightmare. Whilst it has been said, searching, etc, has been stepped up there; given its location and general lay out, it is probably less secure than Jomo.

GJ

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,428 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

I agree. Less time in Nairobi the better if you are worried,

KLM/KQ and others arrive 06.15. Meet and greet, get in car and go.

Rtning. We used KLM at around 22.30 but there are others going earlier.

We drove in from Nakuru got on plane and flew out. OK. Not because of the current problems (which we had not even heard of then) but just because this is how we always travel. (Saves the cost of a Hotel!!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

mfuwe,

After that statement; should we now address you 'a man of the road'?!!

The option of low-key lodging is also an sound; I think we would both rather be in DeLuxe #1 if we had to be in Nairobi at the mo. Must be said, I usually give that one to the kids and take #2 myself, it keeps them further away from other visitors, which helps when they start arguing about charging IPods. Why they don't just unplug a lamp and charge them simultaneously is beyond me, and I do so hate to spoil their healthy sibling rivalry!

GJ

NAIROBI
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

Alkelsall,

Hi,

Fair view Hotel is nice Hotel and good place to stay,security is OK,and good,so no fear for you to travel and you need not cancel your tour:

Have you confirmed any bookings with tour companies here?

Great but more shopping,there is nothing to fear on coming here.

Dunstun

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,428 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

<<Why they don't just unplug a lamp and charge them simultaneously is beyond me,>>

Cos for years their old man has probably yelled at them (or tapped them lightly) not to unplug things without asking permission. Either that or they would rather fight!

Man of the road? Most folks address me as Sir although my driver prefers Your Excellency!

Edited: 25 October 2011, 14:06
nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Safari to Kenya- what do we do now?

haddonfeil -

Before changing tickets know:

- Besides a fee to change ticket from arrival NBO/JKIA into JRO (Kili in Tanzania), along with about $400 additional cost of ticket (JRO is always way more expensiive than NBO) it's served by only two (2) international carriers... KLM and Ethiopian.

- KLM via AMSterdam; Ethiopian departs from IAD (Dulles outside Wash DC thenn via Addis Ababa [ADD]).

- KLM arrives in the evening thus requiring a hotel room (KIA Lodge is closest to airport) till you can get flight next morning to NBO (JKIA or WIL), thus incurring cost of Tanzania Visa which for US Passport holders is $100/person.

- If Ethiopian, it arrives mid afternoon from ADD where you can probably hang out at JRO for next flight to JKIA or WIL.

- Cost of ticket JRO to/from JKIA or WIL will run about $265/person one-way or $450-470 roundtrip