We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FCO security advice updated...

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
FCO security advice updated...

fco.gov.uk/en/…kenya1

And the word on the ground is...?

I'm cautiously optimistic that all will be ok but think my brother is getting worried as he just texted me to let me know of the update

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FCO security advice updated...

Hi Wendy,

This is in response to the warning issued by the US Embassy in Nairobi

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/US+embassy+warns+on+Kenya+attack/-/1056/1259986/-/hw6030/-/

I'm afraid no-one on this forum can know the future, and is unlikely to be as well informed as the US Embassy. I doubt any of us can really help, but I suspect the national parks and safaris would be a difficult target for them, and would give a low rate of return, if they are going to do anything I would guess they will try for what the IRA used to term a 'spectacular'.

The US warning seems to be indicating that shopping malls and night clubs frequented by foreigners (presumably primarily in Nairobi, but not necessarily) are the most likely targets.

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FCO security advice updated...

Thanks Doff

As you say, no-one can know the future (unless you have a

crystal ball to hand!) but as you say the NP's will be a hard target and for 5 days we will be in TZ anyway

:)

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: FCO security advice updated...

I'm trying to be optimistic to my other half is currently on the phone to the travel agent trying to cancel...don't think he'll have any luck! So frustrating...I really want to come to Kenya and enjoy myself but don't think I'll be able to relax...

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
Level Contributor
525 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FCO security advice updated...

Please don't cancel.

If many cancel Kenya tourism will be destroyed for a long time.

We never know what may happen and how threats may work out but having just returned from the coast north of Mombasa, we felt completely safe. Our resort security was very 'hot'

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FCO security advice updated...

Surely cancelling is playing into the hands of the Terrorists? Deny them their objects.

Stay safe and vigilant. The FCO advice is only relevant to places on the cost within 150km of the Somali border. People are still visiting the Seychelles despite the piracy so why give up on Kenya?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,750 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FCO security advice updated...

I can't find any recent Shabaab-related warnings either on the USSD travel advisory page for Kenya:

…state.gov/travel/…safety

or on the US Embassy Nairobi website:

http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/

If anyone knows where this statement is, please point it out. Thanks.

Richard

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FCO security advice updated...

please don't cancel. We are just back from Kenya and felt perfectly safe. Be sensible and you will be fine. Kenya really doesn't need people to be cancelling their holidays en masse. So many jobs and livelihoods (and children's mouths to feed) depend on it. Where we stayed there was very visible security everywhere. If I were you I would just check the security arrangements where you are staying to reassure yourself. I was a bit worried before going, and worrying about worrying when there (!) but was perfectly happy.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FCO security advice updated...

Don't know where the statement is Richard, I heard it on BBC Radio 3 News this morning, googled it and found it on the AFP website, the Nation is quoting AFP

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FCO security advice updated...

I'm with suki i really don't want to cancel or change my holiday to kenya in 4 weeks time but i also don't want to be worrying and constantly looking over my shoulder for 2 weeks especially as this is my first proper holiday.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: FCO security advice updated...

…cnn.com/2011/…

The last thing I want is to cancel as I understand that if masses of people cancel it will have a huge affect on kenyan tourism...however, I do not want to be on holiday constantly worrying. I am almost sure I will not be visiting Kenya, and to be honest am pretty devestated...I've been saving for 6 months for the holiday of a lifetime, but can't really ignore the news :-(