We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

My husband will be working there during the day, but will have the next weekend off.

Any ideas of where I can go during the day while he is at work (as in they come and get you from your hotel and safely take you someplace amazing? lol)

Also, any ideas of where my husband and I could go for the weekend (and possibly a colleague of his, too)?

Someone suggested Kembu which looks AMAZING but not sure how far off it is and how we would get there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Lily

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

lily,

Kenbu, as suggested by Mufwe is around 3ish hours away, which is average for getting out of town to somewhere decent, all on pretty good roads, in the main.

What do you want; scenery, walking, wildlife, white water rafting, mellow drinking with a view, give us a hint for the weekend?! Also what transport will you have, a girl won't get far without wheels, a rough budget would help too, some places are cheaper than others.

GJ

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

Thanks, GJ...

All of the above minus the white water rafting sounds great! lol

We don't have any transport that I'm aware of. I'm not sure if my husband's job is going to help us out there or not.

We are not exactly rolling in the dough for sure, but I would hate to miss a great opportunity by trying to get by on nothing... We will only have one weekend together the whole time, so if we have to spend $1,000 I could put it on the credit card and enjoy those memories for the rest of our lives together.

What about wheels? What are the options? Do you know?

Thank you so much for all your help. I'm thinking I had better get some ideas together because my husband who usually takes care of most of the travel details, is going to be working.

Lilly

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,834 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

Well around NBO you can get your Hotel to fix up with a Taxi/Private hire. The driver will have been vetted by them and will stay with you all day for reasonable money. Venues such as Karen Blixens Home, Giraffe Manor, Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage and just a ride into the Ngong Hills with your sketch pad.

Hey. Just the thing. "Out of Africa?" Robert Redford's grave. You know who I mean. Finch Hatton! That's him! Take a picnic.

A day in Nairobi National park? Why not? Your Hotel will have lots of suggestions or there is just the poolside for one day.

The Week-end. That is some budget. If you are risking a small plane from Wilson you could get to the Maasai Mara for two nights. Or Ol Pejeta.

but saving your money for something more sensible at home like paying off the mortage you could try my earlier suggestion of Kembu. Lovely cottages in complete tranquility and decent food. From there if still keen there are local trips, to Lake Nakuru NP, the Mau escarpment.

To get there is easy enough on a good tar road. Just hire a driver/guide and car for the weekend. There are Driver lodgings there so he will be fine and if he does not like Wazungu food he can eat in the village 10 mins away.

Food for thought there, or not?

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

Mfuwe, you have some great ideas!

How much do you think it would cost to hire a driver to take us to Kembu? The cottages look just perfect. The treehouse one looks just great.

I'm going to show my husband this... how do you think we should go about setting it up? Kembu that is... get with our hotel (The Heron) or should we get in touch with Kembu directly?

I can't wait to show my husband the website. I'm not sure, but I think he would like it :)

Thank you so much!

Lily

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

The transport is important, so perhaps he could ask one of his connections to make some enquireies. To be honest, car rental is cheap enough and if you are taking a ‘local’ it won’t pose a problem, that said; you will be shocked at how cheap is it to travel by taxi, not the normal everyday cabs we are accustom to, these are mainly longer haul destination types. Again, perhaps his local connection may be useful, if not someone here Iam sure will be, failing everything, I know a reliable place that has always treated me fairly, I have never used the car services they provide for anything but an airport run, but better someone to be trusted than someone cheap.

As to the where, without dragging you a world away from town and appreciating your budget:

Naivasha – Town approx 1 hr from NBO, places to stopover another 30 mins. I would head for http://www.campcarnelleys.com/, lakeside campsite come Banda (square hut) accom place with a nice friendly bar and reasonable eats. This is just down the road from Hell’s Gate NP ($40 pppd), you can actually cycle around it, not nasty cats, but plenty of other plans wildlife, great scenery for your later ‘works of art’. I am told cycle hire can be done from the camp, but if not, there is a place at the corner of the turn with the main lake circuit road where you can pick one up. You should easily get a driver to take you here.

Nakuru – About 2.5 hours from NBO, accom is plentiful and a quick Goole hunt will have you buried in palces. A sprawling mish mash of a town with a ‘Premier , or so the say NP’ next to it ($65). It has a reasonable stock of wildlife, including lion, Rhino, etc, I personally don’t like it as it is fenced and full of tourists, so in my mind not that wild, but if you need to see stuff in a limited time, it is worth it. Again, you will need a driver or your own vehicle, unless you want to be eaten!

Nanyuki – A town about 3 hours North, a lovely drive ending with views of Mt Kenya. There is wildlife handy, the Laikipa range is not far, look it up; if you need game, I suggest http://www.olpejetaconservancy.org/, not cheap about $65 pppd, but easily reached with your own wheels. Accommodation I would go for http://kongonicamp.com/, Rotunda style (round hut) accom, all perfectly clean, good inexpensive menu, nice folk and cold beer, approx $80 for a double. I really suggest this area because even given your current paranoia, you won’t feel safer, you have a chunk of the British Army next door, who use it for a location to Exercise in the North from. In my opinion, you are better off with your own vehicle for this.

They are easily done, though very off the top of my head, have a look at them and shout if you need me.

To be honest, I am not a man who travels on a budget, so do check those rates, you can get all the KWS locations here: http://www.kws.org/tourism/tariffs.html

You will now be inundated with offers from those who crawl from under the stones to give you the most wonderful trip of your life; please do ignore them, let us be honest, if they were that good, would they tout on a Forum for trade!

GJ

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

lily,

Avoid using your Hotel to book anything but taxis around town............they always add their pound of flash; well everyone does, but hotels seem to be rather heavy than most!

GJ

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

Not sure how much of a weekend you will have (Fri-Sun, Sat-Mon or just Sat-Sun) but this could have a bearing on what you can do.

There's a place between Nakuru and Naivasha (near Gilgil) which we have booked next year for 2 nights which looks fantastic. You have the wildlife but can also go for walks as well as enjoy the honeymoon suite for the same cost as any other room! Check out the site:

http://www.kigio.com

Might be a bit of a rush if you have to leave Saturday morning and be back Sunday night, not sure.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

Thanks for the great information. I just hope we have a chance to go somewhere on the weekend. It looks like there is quite a lot to choose from!

I am sharing with my husband, but we will probably have to see what his workload looks like while we are there and if they have anything planned for us already.

I'll be referring back to this post when we get there and get more information.

Thanks so much!

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

Leeds,

Nice one. I had forgotten about that place, tis old age you know!

GJ

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nairobi for 2 weeks... suggestions?

Another nice place to visit for absolute peace and tranquility is Castle Forest Lodge, Mount Kenya.

Small wooden round cottages with fires in your room lit every night. Great food, staff fab and they do horse riding, fishing, walks to the twin waterfalls (we went on our own with no problems) and the drive there is great, through tea farms and coffee plantations.

Not sure of how long from Nairobi but I'd say around 3 hours - I'm sure the "lads" will correct me. :-)