We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance

wichita, ks.
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Insurance

We recognize the need for travel insurance in planning our safari, but we have no idea where to look for a good company. Suggestions would be appreciated. CK

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Safari Kenya Watamu - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Perfect Wilderness Tours and Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance

I suggest http://www.squaremouth.com/

At that one site you can compare policies from any number of companies and for any ranges/types of coverage that will suit you. Through them I have purchased many policies from companies such as Travelex, MH Ross, and Travel Insured.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance

Insuremytrip.com is where I've bought my travel insurance twice, including my African safari earlier this year. I eventually bought a TravelEx policy both times after doing the comparisons and reading ALL of the fine print.

Like the company recommended in response #1, they will quote from a number of companies based on your identified travel specifics.

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance

jkdw,

In addition to your regular Insurance, I would recommend you have a look at these guys too:

http://www.amref.org/flying-doctors/

This additional cover, will ensure you get from the back of beyond to decent medical facilities swiftly.

GJ

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance

Most of the travel insurance companies written through Insuremytrip.com will have medical travel coverage included, so there should be no reason to buy something more as suggested by GJGB. The policy I bought had $1M for medical evac and/or repatriation.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Insurance

>>will have medical travel coverage included, so there should be no reason to buy something more as suggested by GJGB. The policy I bought had $1M for medical evac and/or repatriation<<

Except that some insurance company in the States (who can get you home) cannot fly into the bush to extract you. Why Flying Doctor's (Amref) at $25/person (2/wks) is strongly recommended.

Money for this service, if not used, go into a fund to assist locals in outter areas when the need arises - pregnant woman, farmer with broken a leg, child being ill..,. consider it a small contribution!

I purchase my insurance from www.insuremytrip.com

Edited: 31 October 2011, 16:35
6. Re: Travel Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2011, 18:42
Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Insurance

Experts...

Would I need the Short Term Membership 500KM for Wilson Airport Nairobi:

14 days $15 if the furthest I'm going is the Mara? Google maps says its 300KM tops as the kestrel flies.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Insurance

GJ there is no reason to be snotty about it. I shared my experience and said "there should be no reason to buy something more." I didn't say there "wasn't any reason" or some absolute. Sandy gave one such reason that maybe it would be necessary more than an hour before you felt it necessary to post your snide remark.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
282 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Insurance

Hey JKDW,

Why do you think you need to buy insurance like this? I am not against travel insurance, but I have never purchased it. Why do you feel that it is something you should have?

Jim

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Insurance

For any prepaid holiday, which a safari is and along with your international flights, having Trip Cancellation/Interruption insurance is highly recommended. This not only covers: cost of safari if cancelled or interrupted, but also international flight delay/cancel, baggage loss/delay, medical/dental, evacuation.

Unless one doesn't mind loosing the costs for such holiday in the amounts of $10K or more (assuming 2/paxs)... then don't bother.

But, you can have a delay even before arriving at airport to depart - weather, accident, traffic. Once in country an illness that requires interruption, or worse, the need for medical care. One doesn't have to have a prior medical condition or being 'older'... anyone can break a leg (even in Paris on uneven cobblestones, as a friend's 20/yr old brother did and had to pay out-of-pocket for first-class airline tickets to accommodate is leg cast).

No doubt, this insurance or others are always to the benefit of the insurer, but if/should something happens... 'better to have than not.'

I no longer travel without! Up to you!