We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice: KET safaris

Zurich, Switzerland
3 posts
Save Topic
Need advice: KET safaris

Hi all

I am new to TripAdvisor. I need advice from you guys. Thanks!

Here is my situation:

My friends and I have just paid $3000 (out of total $7400) as a deposit to secure the safari booking in January with KET Safaris. But this morning KET (Paul) required $1000 more for deposit with some reasons(like u.s.dollar rate on kenya shillings, a lot of tourists in January and so on). This made us a bit nervous since the agreement between us and ket was made informally via e-mail about two/three weeks ago. We were afraid that KET could change the agreement and price again at any time. So later on I asked Paul if ket could make a formal agreement and fax it to me, however I got their reply: they won't make any formal agreement or contract unless we send them the full payment.

To be honest, I feel a little bit uncomfortable with this matter. We are hesitating if we should insist on a formal agreement or just send the money as they asked.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
412 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice: KET safaris

KET reviews are here

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

You could email a few of the most recent via TA and seek info/reassurance direct from other 'users' of this company.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice: KET safaris

Hi HotFlushes,

Thanks a lot for your advice.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice: KET safaris

Can't comment specifically re KET Safaris, but based on what you arranged, you should have at least received confirmation of what was booked (a Contract with details of where, what, when, included, excluded, terms & conditions) along with the request for deposit.

Apparently, you were simply asked for $3,000 - a 60% deposit that is somewhat higher than usual. And, now being asked for another $1,000 with a strange reason and still NO Contract.

However, it's not unusual for a client booking safari within 60/days of arrival that 'full payment' be due. Now being Nov and travel for Jan is the 60/days... which apprears to be what KET is attempting to convey, though it's a strange way of doing business.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice: KET safaris

Thanks for your comment, you can read terms and conditions through there website dont make mistake by sending more money to them, make sure you are talking to ket safaris through there email on the website Company not person.

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice: KET safaris

Thank you for your information But i have some suggestions for You. one Make sure you are Talking to ketsafaris@yahoo.com not any other email also make sure you are or you deposited in COMPANY ACCOUNT NOT PERSONAL ACCOUNT.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice: KET safaris

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for all your help.

Let me update our situation:

My friend checked the all e-mails today. We are pretty sure at the beginning we were contacting ketsafaris@yahoo.com. On Oct 18, a safari agreement was almost made between us and ketsafaris@yahoo.com. But on Oct 19, we got a reply from ketisafaris@yahoo.com (an additional 'i' between ket and safaris, at that time we didn't notice it), asking us to pay the deposit. Because everything went very well before 18 Oct, we didn't hesitate much and soon sent the money.

Now I think we got scammed. However, what I am still confused is: how come, in the first place, ket*i*safaris@yahoo.com can have my friend's e-mail address and know the detail of safari agreement between us and the authentic KET(ketsafaris@yahoo.com)?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice: KET safaris

Do not send any money. Call Paul. There is a scam at the moment so call him direct.

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice: KET safaris

Call Paul do not sent Any money his Phone is +254 724 291 139 he will advise you accordingly in relation to Any moneies

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice: KET safaris

This is scary. This is the third post I have read today about scams in Kenya. As posted by someone else, this is more of a reason to avoid Kenya than the threat of terrorists attacks. The industry will have to get a better way of taking deposits (credit cards) than wiring cash, or this will sink the industry. Becoming WAY TOO common.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice: KET safaris

Stephen - a Bit harsh, me thinks!

There are thousands upon thousands of visitors to Kenya who never get scammed.

There are thousands upon thousands of visitors who travel to Kenya and/or Tanzania who never post on any travel forums.

So the fact that there have been a few recent incidents, you can't apply the same brush to the entire country/industry.

Appears to me the larger issue is that people don't do their research ahead of time, ask questions, getting referrals, reading reviews, being attracted to prices too good to be true, etc. often using outfitters no one has ever heard of and then - pow! Smacked down!

Even if not for safari planning, I'm sure everyone has sometime in life been caught up in a scam or having done something foolish when the gut is telling you to be on guard and still we proceed. Live and learn!

Too many posters come here 'after the fact' and then ask 'what went wrong?" This appears to be what happened with this thread and the few recent ones. However, such incidents aren't rare and not rampant in Kenya anymore than elsewhere around the world.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa