We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

Scotland
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

As the subject says, I have done the Mara three times, Tsavo East three times and Tsavo West once. I am looking for suggestions for a three day two night safari from the South Coast that may be a little different to the ones I have already been on.

All replies and suggestions gratefully received.

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

Things could be a little far - are you flying out? If so, then I think anything could be possible with an early morning flight out. Samburu? Meru? Or even Nakuru and Naivasha?

How about Amboseli?

Those that have been there, done that, got the t-shirt will surely have plenty of brilliant ideas :-D

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

What exactly are you looking for?

Consider Amboseli, Chyulu Hills.

Scotland
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

I love early morning game drives, the quietness of safari, the smells and wildlife of course! Chyulu Hills? Not heard of those, will google them.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

Hi,

there are also the Lumo and Taita Sanctuary, as mentioned Amboseli (you can do a fly-in safari there).

With 2 nights you are a little bit limited. Okay, you can go by plane to Nairobi and from there head on to Lake Nakuru, than back to Nairobi and fly back to coast - but in my eyes not worth this.

They are also offering fly-in safaris to Samburu with direct flights from Ukunda to Samburu and back - maybe worth to check it.

bye

Chrissy

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

You might consider a flight to Nanyuki and exploring the Laikipia region. There are so many excellent game reserves (mostly private) in that area.

Also Meru NP is quite different from so many of the major parks and has some excellent accomodation.

I'd also echo the suggestion of Chyulu Hills and Amboseli. Which would be more accessable from the South Coast.

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

Push the boat out and treat yourself to three nights in Meru. Stay at Elsas for a terrific experience. The parks topography is lovely, the vegetation different and the guiding fantastic. Well worth a visit, (the biggest plus is no mini vans, the only vehicles you'll see are from Elsas )

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

How about "Shimba Hills National Reserve" (about 35 kms from Diani) ?

Shimba Hills is known for its forested landscape, sharp slopes & steep valleys. North of the Reserve is the "Mwaluganje elephant sanctuary".

One of main attractions of Shimba Hills is the impressive Sheldrick Falls.

kenya-information-guide.com/shimba-hills-nat…

Besides elephants, you will also see sable antelopes.

Scotland
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

I've done Mwaluganje twice before as well.

Kenya
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

I believe that there are so many option available to you. you can try Meru. Its the best in terms of wildlife. Fly inn there spend two nights and there after back to Mombasa. also Aberdare is a great stop over. Take also Shompole. you can also take to Ol donyo sabuk in Thika. all dependent on how much you want to spend

Kenya
Level Contributor
192 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Done Tsavo East, West & Mara what next?

Quoted ...''I love early morning game drives, the quietness of safari, the smells and wildlife of course!..''

I think Meru NP would be paradise for you! :) 2 to 4nights.. maybe sample stayed deep inside the Park(Elsa's Kopje) and outside the Park(Rhino River Camp). A great experience by all means

Taita hills sanctuary would also be a great idea... stay at the Sarova taita hills lodge,beautiful!