We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

I have searched the forums and I have read some recommendations on 4x4 hire, but appreciate things change al the time.

I am planning to go to kenya mid 2012 and want to hire a good 4x4 (Toyota Landcruiser/Landrover Defender/Range Rover) – hiring from Nairobi

Can anyone recommend any companies, I have seen the following mentioned previously, but its not clear whether they are dependable.

Erikson Rover Safaris

Roving Rovers

4x4-kenya

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

Try Sunworld - sunworld-safari.com/en_en/…car-hire.html

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

Just remembered - try also Rasuls Car Hire.

Been in business for a very long time. Rates are quite attractive, but can't comment on dependability of 4x4 fleet.

http://www.rasuls.com/

Edited: 23 November 2011, 10:36
Nairobi
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

Hi

Try Air Travel and related services, they will give you the best rate in the market and have new extended Landcruisers, e-mail info@airtravelstudies.co.ke

Enjoy your trip

Allan

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have view on the companies I mentioned?

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

Hi Wandurer,

We used Roving Rovers for a 4 week trip in Aug2011 and they were excellent. Hired a Land Rover Defender (with driver, but you can drive yourself) which included camping kit. In addition to some of the must see sights we also followed a couple of Roving Rovers suggestions and had wonderful off the beaten track African experiences. They are based in Nakuru but will deliver / collect from most places in Kenya. All in all, very helpful and efficient and I would definitly use them again. Hope this helps. Trevor

London
Level Contributor
109 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

Hired a car for Safari over December from Market Car Hire - well established firm in Nairobi - been around for some time!

Car was a 4x4 Landcruiser that was great for safari - with pop-up roof. We got a safari driver who was also very knowledgable and safe - the roads in Mara were challenging to say the least. Check them out - www.marketcarhire.com

Bristol, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

Roving rovers,

Me and my girlfreind used this company while we travelled kenya back in January 2012, we hired a land rover for 10 days, and had planned sevaral safaris. We disoverd that the vehicle was unsafe and very unreliable, 3 full stop breakdowns in the first 5 days, after wich we told the machanic to take it away. expecting some kind of refund, or compensation. when we finished our holiday we contacted Martin, the owner, who declined any responisibility of the breakdowns and refused any kind of refund!! just beware of this company, i would NOT RECOMMEND.

the Hague
Level Contributor
43 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

I would recommend Central Rent a Car (http://www.carhirekenya.com). I just came back from a two week trip around kenya. We rented a 2009 pajero which was perfect for us. A true workhorse with good tires and loads of space. Drove through the aberdares in rainy season without any problems.

Friends of us had four punctures during their trip, we had none. All down to the tires. E-mail contact was good, contract clear, credit card went fine, and papers/ insurance in order. No hidden costs or add-ons.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 20:02
9. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2012, 11:46
10. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2012, 11:46