We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

I have searched the forums and I have read some recommendations on 4x4 hire, but appreciate things change al the time.

I am planning to go to kenya mid 2012 and want to hire a good 4x4 (Toyota Landcruiser/Landrover Defender/Range Rover) – hiring from Nairobi

Can anyone recommend any companies, I have seen the following mentioned previously, but its not clear whether they are dependable.

Erikson Rover Safaris

Roving Rovers

4x4-kenya

Any advice would be appreciated.

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

I would advise you to avoid Eriksons Rover safaris as the vehicles used are exceptionally poorly maintained and unreliable. The brakes, gearbox and handbrake all failed on one of our vehicles and we had to abandon our safari with it in the Masai Mara. On the other vehicle we hired, the batteries were defective and we had to push start the vehicle in the mornings. It's handbrake was also non functional which led to interesting overnight parking arrangements! When we complained about the unsafe condition of the vehicles we were ignored and Eriksons refused to refund us the money we had paid up front for the vehicle which could not complete the safari.

Oslo, Norway
1 post
Save Reply
32. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

I lived in Kenya and I advice anyone unfamiliar with the road conditions and idiotic eratic driving habits of African drivers to hire a experienced driver and make sure the car has airbags. Also make sure to bring down the tire pressure to a normal level. Kenyan's tend to over inflate tires which makes for a very bouncy ride. Then have at least one good spare tire and plenty of repair kits. Also whenever you park your car anywhere but an enclosed garage to hire a local "askari" (watchman) to guard against people puncturing tires. They do this because they'll charge a lot of money to fix it. Kenyans don't like tourists driving their own cars (it kills jobs). I've driven thousands of miles off and on roads through Kenya and Tanzania and have seen many stranded tourists begging to be driven back to the hotel after a few near death encounters. If you have a thorough understanding of Stick-Shift off and on-road driving and have no fear of morons on the road then Kenya/Africa will be the most fun adventure you'll find anywhere, specially during the rainy season!

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

4x4-kenya proved to be very unreliable.

The cars provided were old, did not have safety belts, both cars had problems starting, the camping equipement was incomplete

we cancelled the car hire after three days of trying to get everything in order. Alas we never got our money refunded

34. Re: Up to date advice on 4x4 Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2016, 07:17