We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Nairobi to Athi River

Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Nairobi to Athi River

My sons, are planning to arrive in Nairobi airport and travel to Athi River. While in Nairobi in 2007 we traveled by rented van and driver, few short trips by taxi, my sons consider both to expensive. Does anyone have any other suggestions for safe travel in that area, bus suggest possible?

Nairobi
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Nairobi to Athi River

Hi Oregon

Athi River is past the airport as you drive from Nairobi city centre, I do not see any quick and cheap way of getting there other than take a cab, There are regular public transport buses into and out of the airport (City Hoppa and Double M, your sons could hop into one and drop by the main Nairobi- Mombasa highway and pick a matatu from there, but they unfortunately go through the wrong route, outer Ring, Jogoo Road and into city centre at the bus station, ask the bus conductors where to pick the Athi River bound matatus from bus station. To avoid all this backtracking it would be easier just to take a cab from the airport and straight to Athi River and save time.

Just to mention that it is quite a distance from the airport to the main highway and not possible to walk.

Hope this helps, others will post their suggestions.

Allan

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Nairobi to Athi River

If I stand to correction, there is a Bus Stop at the junction of Airport North Rd, on the way to City Cabanas. From here, there are buses/matatus heading towards Athi River. That is, if they don't mind taking the public transport ie Bus/Matatu.

Have a look at Google earth snapshot.

imageshack.us/photo/…

Nairobi
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Nairobi to Athi River

Yes Stef

There is a bus stop, but the buses from the airport do not go through there,unless it is someone who is very conversant with Nairobi,it will be difficult to know where to alight take another Matatu to city cabanas and wait there for the Athi river bound ones, by the way matatus are not allowed to enter the airport at all except the buses mentioned in my earlier posting.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Nairobi to Athi River

Best to take a taxi despite the expense. It should cost no more than 3,000 Kenya Shillings. Arriving with tagged luggage and trying to hop in Matatus/public transport may not be the most convenient and secure. Consider also the arrival time.

5. Re: Travel from Nairobi to Athi River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:40