We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

North Wales
Level Contributor
290 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

It appears that Cosmos and The Scorpio Villas hotel are in dispute over unpaid bills. Consequently Scorpio are refusing to take any more of Cosmos's guests and have in the last couple of days turned away several at the door who have been taken to alternative hotels elsewhere.

If you specifically want to stay in the Scorpio Villas hotel be aware and beware, in all likelyhood you will not get there.

For current Cosmos guests, they are threatening to present us with a bill on departure which is understandable as their outstanding debt goes back to June apparently.

I have contacted Cosmaos by e mail and asked for clarification on the situation and surprise surprise, they are no more responsive to my email than the many Scorpio claim to have sent.

It appears that Scorpio won't feature on Cosmos's future brochures which is a shame because it's an excellent hotel.

Dave

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

What a worry for you but a Disgraceful and not very proffesional service from a big firm like Cosmos ...shame on them ...

North Wales
Level Contributor
290 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

The biggest worry I have is the zero response to my e mail entitled "For your urgent attention" . So much for customer care and as a previous regular customer I would remind them that it takes years to build good relationships, seconds to destroy them.

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

what does elvis the rep say ( not that he would do much about it)

if anybody wants to go to scorpio best way is book direct , yes its a great hotel and the staff are fantastic

North Wales
Level Contributor
290 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

Elvis can't do anything other than try and keep us informed which he has done. He's just the messenger and go between.

I am curious to know whether Cosmos are still accepting bookings to Scorpio and whether they are contacting existing bookings to tell them about the situation.

Had I been redirected to another hotel in Mombassa it would have made a total mess of my pre planned safari. It's not that simple for some people to be moved to another hotel on the whim of a tour operator but that it appears is their legal perogative.

scotland
Level Contributor
63 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

Thanks for this information we are booked to go in March we have not

had any word will give them a call before we pay anymore money

i did notice that they have removed the villas from there website was a bit concered about now i know why there was a posting on the villas trip page about them being them not being paid by of of there customers they did not say who will let you know what they say will call them when i get home from work thanks again

scotland
Level Contributor
63 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

just called them and what do you know they no nothing they also said they would not leave customers with no accomadation but as soon as said they no longer have the villas on there website she had to go and speak to someone else and what do you think they now say yes we do have some issues with them but not to worry it will all be sorted out by March and anyway if they do pull out of the villas we will do one of 2 things offer new accomadation at no extra charge or give us back our money and anyway you are covered by ABTA

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

if they move you it will be to coral kets in malindi , hotel next door, or move you to mombasa and its usally travellers and you wont know much till about a week before you travel , happened to me when scorpio was being rebuilt a few years ago

so dont hold your breath people , to be honest you might find that scorpio will no longer accept guests unless booked direct as they donr get many customers from uk anyway

North Wales
Level Contributor
290 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

Cosmos customers are being moved to Neptune hotel, Dani beach. I believe.

Scorpio isn't ( at least hasn't been which is more applicable now) over run with Brits which is nice, many are presumably put off by the 2-3 hour drive from Mombassa airport. It's a shame as they won't find out what they have been missing now ! It appears to me that the relationship between Cosmos and Scorpio is terminal.

Incidentally, I'm still waiting for advice from Cosmos HO as to what happens if I get presented with a bill.

Maybe they know that won't happen, I do, but that's not the point of good PR communications is it.

Their external relations department really does irritate, even when it comes to asking simple questions before you fly, chances are your requests for information go unanswered.

Edited: 13 December 2011, 09:29
scotland
Level Contributor
63 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

let us know what happens at the end of your Hoilday hope it has not spoiled it for you your right about the villas thats why we booked it somtimes these large hotels are face less but it looks like we won't be going to Malindi after all we see what Cosmos does now they are starting to right up my nose right now if they have a problem let there customers know about it right from the start and not read about on a website be up front about it

Bromley
Level Contributor
7 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cosmos / Monarch customers beware !

Cosmos Customer Services here; sadly we are having a commercial disagreement with Scorpio. We continue to pay them on a rolling basis, the same way we have done for the many years that we have been working with Scorpio. Unfortunately, they have changed the way that they are billing us, without agreement. Guys, we haven't been in business for the last 50 years by not playing by the rules. We have NOT cancelled our existing contract, but are of course "considering our position". Because Kenya is suffering from bad press generally - particularly these resorts further North, we are no longer operating a Charter to Mombasa, so bookings for Scorpio are declining at the same time. If anything changes, then of course our existing customers will be the first to know. I will update again later if there is anything more to add.