We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Africa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Africa

Hi, my fiance and I are planning to travel to Africa for our honeymoon. We are getting married June 9th, 2012, and expect to go on our honeymoon immediately after. We have about 10-12 days of vacation time. I have been told to plan a trip that may include Kenya/Tanzania and Seychelles/Mauritius. I heard Zanzibar is nice too. I heard this area of Africa is better because of June weather. I do not need to go to all locations, but would love if people have an opinion of what 2-3 locations I should definitely visit to make the perfect honeymoon. We both are excited about a little beach and safari time. Please let me know if the weather will be okay then and what locations to go to if you had to pick 2 to 3. THANKS!!!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Africa

Hi - have a peek at 10 "Romantic Hideaways" in Kenya - Msafiri Magazine. "MSAFIRI" is the quarterly infight magazine for "Kenya Airways". Pages: 72-82

http://www.ta-emags.com/V1/KQ/M74/

Consider a Safari in National PArk like Tsavo & beach locations of Malindi / Watamu / Lamu.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Africa

All these will depend on how you want to split those days.

But weather in Zanizbar:-

April through June is wet because of the long rains which start to taper off in May.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Africa

As a fellow New Yorker, the weather will probably be nicer here in June than in East Africa as a beach holiday will likely encounter rain. Also, consider there are so many 'beach' options closeby, whether the Jersey Shore, Hamptons... or farther afield, Caribbean or Mexico, you can more easily and less expensive to take advantage.

You also have to remember that the coastal areas of Kenya and/or Tanzania are 'tropical' - hot/very humid.

Even if considering Seychelles post safari, this can be expensive, often based on flight schedules from Nairobi which aren't daily. And, prices on SEZ aren't inexpensive.

With only 10-12/days and considering at minimum you require 3/full days on the East African coast, reduces the number of days for safari and with less than 10/days it's not recommended to visit both countries. Even though the areas appear close on a map, distances can be great and transit times, whether by road or even short-haul flights, do take up quite a bit of time.

You'd require Visas for entry to both Kenya @ USD$50/pp; Tanzania @ USD$100/pp along with Yellow Fever inoculation for entry to/from/between countries; malaria meds, of course; other recommended inoculations. And, YF would also be required for entry to SEZ from East Africa.

However, if you wish to do both safari and beach, consider:

Day 1 - Arrive Nairobi/NBO Kenya (more air carriers fly here with competitive prices) - o/n

Day 2 - Drive (4/hrs) to Amboseil, known for elephants and views of Kilimanjaro - o/n

Day 3 - Amboseli - o/n

Day 4 - Drive (1.5/hrs) to border w/Tanzania; drive (1.5/hrs) via Arusha for lunch; continue drive (2.5/hrs) to Lake Manyara - o/n

Day 5 - Drive (2.5/hrs) to Ngorongoro Crater; crater tour - o/n

Day 6 - Game drive (4-5/hrs) to Western Serengeti; to meet up with the wildebeest migration - o/n

Days 7 & 8 - Western Serengeti - o/n

Day 9 - Fly to Arusha; connect to fly to Zanzibar; transfer to beach resort - o/n

Days 10 & 11 - ZNZ - o/n

Day 12 - Transfer to ZNZ airport for flight to DAR or NBO and homebound.

Much depends on budget which you don't indicate (for accommodations and whether/where drive vs flights), but know prices during June in Kenya are still at mid-season rates, whereas those in Tanzania are at peak-season.

Things to consider so hope this helps.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Africa

Thank you so much for your post. This is very helpful and I will share with my fiance. I think you set up a great plan for the two of us with considerations. I appreciate your time.

A E
Orlando, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Africa

Wow! I too am getting married on June 9th with plans to go to Africa for a 10-14day honeymoon. Please post any information you gather.

6. Re: Honeymoon in Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2013, 10:15