We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British soldiers in Nanyuki?

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
British soldiers in Nanyuki?

This is a subtopic of my last question...I understand the British army trains in Nanyuki. Could anyone care to elaborate what that is like? Are soldiers out and about? Can you hear a lot of gunfire, etc?

Again I'm super pleased to hear this, I adore war history and have my pilot's license myself :)

Edited: 02 January 2012, 01:41
Nairobi
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: British soldiers in Nanyuki?

Hi Adriana,

British soldiers have a base in Nanyuki and you can find them out and about. Gunfire? No, no. They actually train at locations that could be more than 100kms from Nanyuki. Nanyuki also has bases for the Kenyan Military.

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British soldiers in Nanyuki?

Hi, The British Army have a base just to the north of Nanyuki. They train on Mt Kenya and also somewhere off the road to Meru and Isiolo. Soldiers are evident in Nanyuki Town and there are plenty of military vehicles on the road North of the town. On the whole their presence is quite low key though.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: British soldiers in Nanyuki?

Thank you for all the input everyone! Is Nanyuki a very busy place around october-december? In terms of tourists, at least?

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: British soldiers in Nanyuki?

bump? :)

Nairobi, Kenya
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: British soldiers in Nanyuki?

Hi Again,

Nanyuki is mostly a tourist transit point for the many attractions around Mt. Kenya, Laikipia and Samburu/Shaba as well as the far Northern frontiers.

So you'll mainly find many tourists stopping over (currently at the New Nakumatt shopping mall) where there is a cafe for refreshments before proceeding. October to December is still relatively busy but not as much as the high season (June-October). Last year Samburu was very beautiful around this time.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British soldiers in Nanyuki?

Here's a write up of the sort of things they get up to over there and why the train in Kenya. I was wondering the same myself as the BATUK vehicles are everywhere you go.

www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php…

7. Re: British soldiers in Nanyuki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2012, 16:05
8. Re: British soldiers in Nanyuki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 10:16