We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help - 12 Day Kenya & Tanzania Safari

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Help - 12 Day Kenya & Tanzania Safari

I need some advice on a planned Kenya & Tanzania safari for the second and third week of November, this year. A family of three adults will be visiting a relative teaching in Nairobi for three days and planning to stay at the Miti Mingi Guesthouse in Karen, Nairobi doing all the usual tourist things. The safari will be a driving one (I know this forum doesn’t really go for this but bumpy and dusty as it may be, I’d rather see what we’d be flying over). The planned itinerary at this point is:

Day 1 – Pick up from Nairobi B&B, depart for Lake Nakuru National Park, Overnight at Flamingo Hill Tented Camp.

Day 2 & 3 – After breakfast depart for Masai Mara Game Reserve, 2 nights at Mara Sopa Lodge.

Day 4 – After breakfast depart through the Masai Mara to the border at Isibania/Sirari and on to the Speke Bay Area, Overnight Speke Bay Lodge.

Day 5 – Morning trip to local fishing village on Lake Victoria. After lunch depart for Serengeti National Park, Overnight Ikoma Tented Camp.

Day 6 & 7 – Depart after Breakfast for full day in Serengeti National Park, late check in at Serengeti Kati Kati Camp for 2 nights. (Hoping to catch what’s left of the migration in the Serengeti.)

Day 8 - After Breakfast depart for the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, picnic lunch & visit to Olduvai Gorge en route, Overnight at Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge.

Day 9 – After breakfast, depart for our 6 hours allowed in the Ngorongoro Crater, Overnight in Bounganvillea Safari Lodge.

Day 10 – After breakfast depart for Tarangire National Park, Overnight Maramboi Tented Camp.

Day 11- After breakfast depart for Kenya via Namanga and proceed to Amboseli National Park, Overnight Kibo Safari Camp.

Day 12 – Morning game drive in Amboseli National Park, after breakfast, depart for Nairobi, last minute shopping and plane home.

I know that this is ambitious and cramming in too much in 12 days but I doubt that I’ll ever get this way again and want to see as much as I can. I don’t really relish all the one night stays but don’t really know what to cut out which is why I’m seeking your help. I’ve written to several operators and gotten conflicting advice so I’m hoping that the TA experts will know which park to cut or stay longer in.

Any comments or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
1. Re: Itinerary Help - 12 Day Kenya & Tanzania Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2012, 12:35
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help - 12 Day Kenya & Tanzania Safari

Aicy K, from Southern Cross.

You're giving a very good company an instant poor reputation for touting. I would desist immediately!

Richard

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help - 12 Day Kenya & Tanzania Safari

This is what "ShepofBristo" had to say...

<< Generally people who try to cram too much into one trip rushing from one place to another end up being the least satisfied with their trip. >>

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k4…

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help - 12 Day Kenya & Tanzania Safari

I feel exhausted just reading your itinerary!

nyc
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help - 12 Day Kenya & Tanzania Safari

You're visiting two (2) 'elephant' parks - Tarangire in Tanzania and Amboseli in Kenya and by the time you arrive at each aren't giving either sufficient time for more than one game drive... duh! I'd suggest only one of these and add the time to the Mara or Serengeti.

Ambitious for sure and you'll be spending more time in transit, border crossing time. Even driving on park lands with dirt/gravel/ruts/mud, It's rarely advised to visit both countries with 10/days or less, but even with 12/days, you've gotta cut something out of one of these countries. So, I wouldn't discount flying some segments.

If the 'migration' is of interest and as there are never any guarantees exactly where the herds will be located, likely the Northern Serengeti (where you're not visiting), but maybe Central (Kati-Kati) or even the South or Ndutu area, where it might be too early (not visiting)... lots of wasted time still as you have it set up.

I'd rethink.

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help - 12 Day Kenya & Tanzania Safari

4Sandi, Thanks for your recommendations. Have rethought and am posting new itinerary on the Tanzania Forum. Hopefully I'll get some more concrete advice there.

7. Re: Itinerary Help - 12 Day Kenya & Tanzania Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 10:26