We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with payment of park/conservancy fees

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Help with payment of park/conservancy fees

Can anyone please give me some advice on payment of park fees? We are travelling independently this time around and have made our lodge bookings direct so will need to pay the fees ourselves.

Firstly, we are staying in Mount Kenya Park for the first night. Do we have to load a Safari Card or can the park fees be paid in cash direct at the gate? I have paid cash at other (smaller) parks but I don’t know if the rules have changed since.

Secondly, our next visit will be to Ol Pejeta Conservancy. I have emailed them but with no response (if you’re reading this, Ol Pejeta, come in!!). Do these fees need to be paid cash in dollars or can they be paid by credit card?

You know, with all the logistics involved, there’s a lot to be said for getting someone to do all this for you!

Thanks for any advice.

Nirobi
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with payment of park/conservancy fees

You can pay directly in cash dollars at the gate,for both Mt Kenya and Ol Pejeta conservancy

Nairobi
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with payment of park/conservancy fees

Actually Mt. Kenya does not take Safari cards (as of Dec. 2011). Credit cards are accepted at most payment points - So I believe Ol Pejeta should have the facility.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with payment of park/conservancy fees

Credit cards will often be a problem, in my experience, out in the sticks - at park entrance gates for example. They would need a working landline to be able to take CC payment, would they not? And a card reader.

Richard

Nairobi
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with payment of park/conservancy fees

These days POS machines for credit cards use GSM networks, so not much of a problem.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with payment of park/conservancy fees

Yes, but invariably the ruddy things STILL don't work, so far better to take cash. Even here in Nairobi the machines and ATMs have constant problems.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with payment of park/conservancy fees

Thanks for everyone's help with this. I did want to avoid taking a fistful of dollars, apart from the security aspect there's also the poor exchange rate, much better when paying by credit card, but it looks like cash is my only option.

Still no response from Ol Pejeta, shame on you, but I'll try again.

7. Re: Help with payment of park/conservancy fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 10:32