We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

Rogers, Arkansas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

Is 15 days too long for this safari? Has anyone done a Globus safari in Kenya or Tanzania? What month did you go? If you are 77 and have back issues and bladder issues is it still a pooibility?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,651 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

15/days isn't too long for safari, and while I don't know the specifics of the Globus tour, many 'group' itineraries have long road transfers (some can be 5-6/hrs) between areas, besides being in a vehicle with about 6/paxs.

Of course, there are stops for the loo, but how often, who knows? It's not like there are petrol stations ever few miles. And as to the comfort in the vehicle, well... again, they're not always the most comfortable. Many will bring a back cushion or ask for the seat next to driver which usually the most comfortable (certainly don't sit in the seats at the back... very bumpy). And, depending on others traveling who may have similar issues, they'll also want that front seat, so paxs often rotate seats.

And, if it's a road transfer between Kenya and Tanzania, assume from the Mara into the Serengeti, this can be a full-day on the road (8+/hrs).

Doesn't mean people with back and/or loo issues don't go on safari... they do. It's got to be an individual decision.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 23:28
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

The 15 day Kenya Tanzania is not too long. It is a beautiful experience and you get to visit more than 10 different parks. It is well paced with bathroom breaks after every 2 hours. The tour participants are usually over 70 and at 77 you will be in good company. It is a great experience accompanied by an experienced Tour Director.

Vermilion, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

We recently took the Globus Kenya/Tanzania 15 day safari tour and while Africa itself is a fantastic journey not to be missed, I urge you to stay away from Globus - at least in Africa. My wife and I had toured with Globus twice before in Europe and found their services to be very good. But Africa is a different story. First, their safari vehicles in Kenya are a joke. We were actually embarrassed to be seen in them. Plus, they were unsafe and lacked adequate ventilation. Do not, I repeat, do not use Globus to tour Kenya.

The other problem with Globus in Africa is that their tour groups can number up to 20, which means three safari vehicles and one tour guide. This means that you have access to your tour guide one day out of every three. Plus, there is no PA system in the vehicles, so unless you are seated in the first row you cannot hear a word. In our case, hours passed without so much as a reference to the passing scenery or culture. The whole idea of a Globus tour is to experience the country you are visiting through the eyes AND VOICE of an experienced guide. In Africa you will not be able to do this.

That having been said, the rest of the tour was indeed up to Globus standards - the lodges were nice, the food good and the schedules kept; all Globus trademarks. But the terrible safari vehicles and the lack of access to your tour guide make this a tour I cannot recommend.

Edited: 19 January 2013, 19:23
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

Hello Ohio Engineer, I have just booked the Kenya/Tanzania/Zanzibar trip with Globus and I noted you said you did not have access to the Tour Guide 1/3 days- do you mean the actual (logistical) tour leader, or that there was no one to point out wildlife at all in the other cars?

Could you also elaborate on why the vehicles are a joke? Do they not offer the pop-up top/360 viewing? Are they just regular rough-road vehicles? How were they unsafe?

I have done a lot of group tours, but this will be my first with Globus so I am curious because given the high price I will be expecting a lot from them. I have used Collette and that had a tour director that was just for logistics and not our sightseeing guide, so I wouldn't care if I didn't see the logistics guide if there is a sightseeing one on each game drive.

Thank you.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 20:59
Vermilion, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

Anonymous 928 -

Normally, the big reason for booking with Globus is their fantastic tour guides. On the European Globus tours that we have been on, these guides literally "make the tour" with their non-stop commentary on local history, culture and tourist sites - often done with songs and poetry. But Africa was a different story. While the tour guides and drivers are good at spotting game, don't plan on learning much about the country or the people. We literally had to ask question after question to get our guide or driver to even open their mouths. When our guide did deem to talk, it was to push his personal political agenda. And again, unless you are seated directly behind the guide, you will not be able to hear what he is saying.

As far as the vehicles, Globus uses mini-buses in Kenya. If you do any research on the internet you will quickly learn that mini-buses are NOT the way to see Africa. They are limited as to where they can go, difficult to move around in, have terrible ventilation (the rear windows do not open and there is no such thing as AC on an African safari), and, yes, they are unsafe. Globus puts up to six passengers in each mini-bus and these passengers have only one door to enter and exit. If you have an accident and need to get out of the vehicle in a hurry, good luck. Also, Globus "controls" the passengers by allowing these doors to only to be opened from the outside. Again, very unsafe. In fact, we were told by our guide that these vehicles were being used by Globus until they wear out - at which time they will be finally replaced with some decent 4x4's.

I expected more from a top-rated company like Globus and they let me down.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

Thank you for your response. I will be prepared and manage my expectations accordingly. Maybe those mini-buses will be worn out by my trip in November:)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

Though I cannot talk about the minibuses for Kenya, I did take a tour in Tanzania. There were 15 in 3 jeeps. I expect you will move to jeep type vehicles for the Tanzania component too. Visibility then is very good.

We also had only one Director who also acted as driver. As there were folks who had to sit in the front seat, and others that tended to want to stay together we did not always rotate the vehicle every day. However, I never felt that I was short changed from learning about the animals and just absorbing all that Africa had to offer. My tour had cultural components and all three of the staff were always available for questions - and I had them. I am a particularly information driven person, and I found that this was such a visual and emotionally driven trip, that I didn't need every factoid about every item we say. There was plenty of info each day. I am a couple of decades younger than the Globus demographic, so hearing wasn't such an issue, but I suggest one sits back and absorbs what Africa has to offer.

Perhaps some reading or documentaries before you go will allow you to know what you are seeing and know how to ask the questions you want.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

We too are looking at Globus for July 2014. In comparing this tour to Overseas Adventure Tour, they have (1) night with tents and OAT has 4...others who have travelled her stress staying in the tents to be near the animals. What are your comments here?

Vermilion, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

Globus actually does two nights in tents: one in Sweetwaters (Ol Pejeta) and one in the Maasai Mara. While tents are great, I wouldn't let this be the deciding factor in choosing a tour. Most of the game lodges are quiet remote and just steps away from the animals - with or without tents. We had elephants, giraffes and even a leapard all close to our various lodges.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,651 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone done the Globus 15 day Kenya Tanzania Safari

If Globus gives you a tented camp in the Mara but for only 1/nt... not the best tour. The Mara deserves minimum 3/nts (2/nts if you have no control).

Whether tents of lodges, game will be as close or far from either as they are free to roam anywhere. It's just nice to have a true African experience 'sleeping under canvas.'