We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plane Leaves Early??

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Plane Leaves Early??

Just returned from Kenya, Nairobi a couple of days and then to Lamu for 12 days of sheer bliss... We took Fly 540 from Nairobi to Lamu via Malindi. Waiting at the airport lounge and had just ordered two coffees in the ajoining Cafe. We saw people boarding a 540 plane on the tarmac, no announcement, no warning and 40 minutes before our plane was leaving. For safety sake, I asked the coffee guy. " That's the plane for Lamu"! spitting out coffee and gathering our things we just made boarding. When asked why they were leaving early? Well, everyone is checked in sir, why should we wait?. True, but prior warning, a small announcement maybe?? Has anyone else experienced this?

"Remember wherever you go, there you are"

Mentioned in this post
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,214 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plane Leaves Early??

T.i.a. !!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plane Leaves Early??

One day all airlines will be this good!

I think they would probably have come looking for you otherwise they would have had to offload your luggage. You just beat them to it. (Or maybe not! as stefan says T.i.a.)

Mostly somebody will run down the area shouting "Lamu! Lamu!" if they have some folks missing.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plane Leaves Early??

T.i.a ???

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,214 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plane Leaves Early??

Min - some things are best 4 u to suss out. & if u finally do, keep it 2 yourself !!

Mfuwe - who knows, they might even drop & pick up passengers en-route..

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,175 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plane Leaves Early??

This is Africa, Min

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Plane Leaves Early??

so you say while in transit or waiting in the same plane, fly540 allowed passengers to leave the plane, but then lapsed to announce earlier than scheduled boarding!

i assume there was about 35minutes or so waiting at malindi before next scheduled departure to lamu,

well next time prior to booking, i will pose them this question, about likelyhood of leaving someone behind and who is to blame for it!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plane Leaves Early??

Thanks Doff, knew I could rely on someone less mean that Stef!!!!

With lots of love, Min xxxxx :-)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,175 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plane Leaves Early??

Min,

Funnily enough expats in Thailand have a very similar TLA (three letter acronym) to explain the frequent bizarre or mystifying occurrences there

Mentioned in this post
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plane Leaves Early??

For what it's worth, and feeling a bit crotchety after 2 weeks in Kenya and back in the UK, I'd just like to say I HATE "tiA" - patronising and meaningless.

At least the Thai acronym is funny! Me, I think's it's all one beautiful stupid world, but I always was a bit of a hippy.

Grump over. . .

Richard

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plane Leaves Early??

Actually so do I Richard.

I can get quite, ahem, "Brusque" when offered that as an explanation by a mzungu manager.

What they usually mean is they are bloody incompetent and are trying to blame someone else for their failings.

I would let you have a precis of some of my responses for your next book but they ain't pretty!

OK. sometimes things don't go right no matter how hard one tries but that phenomena is not confined to Africa. Enjoy your Grump. T.I.UK!!