We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best direction from plane to immigration at JKIA

Bedfordshire England
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best direction from plane to immigration at JKIA

Heading back the next few days. They were messing about with the terminal last year and I can't remember which is the best way from the arrival gates to immigration. Can anyone tell me if you can go either way, or is one way better than the other? And does it matter which gate you arrive at? We will be coming in on the Virgin flight.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,179 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best direction from plane to immigration at JKIA

We normally hot foot it down the ramp by the information desk but you still then meet the scrum at the bottom by the desks with people looking for pens and places to fill out the visa forms/landing cards/declaration forms so try to do yours on the flight.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best direction from plane to immigration at JKIA

I always fly KLM / KQ so don't know where Virgin come on stand. Personally I always go to the leftmost Immigration area, its been so long since I went to the righthand one that I've no idea whether it is better or not. I do know that I was generally through in around 20 minutes (occasionally between 20 and 30 and once in about 40-45 minutes when they introduced the new sticker visas) when I was getting visas on arrival. Its usually between 5 and 15 minutes now I use multitrip visas. When I came through in December, even though there were over 400 people on the flight and I was near the rear of the plane,because I knew where I was going and headed there briskly there were no queues at any of the desks when I got there.

BTW just turning left will not necessarily get you to the lefthand area, as some of the gates are to the right of the righthand Immigration area

London
Level Contributor
109 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best direction from plane to immigration at JKIA

Hi, there are two ramps from the Arrival (and departure) gates through to the immigration check counters. These are located between departure gates 6-8 and 10-11. I think what Doff is saying is that he usually uses the one between 6-8 (on the left) as this is often less busy. Fill out the landing card inflight and then when you land just proceed straight to a counter - thats the quickest way. You also purchase visas at the counter if you need one - provided you have the exact change, just go straight to the counter - obviously you'll have to have filled out the visa application form beforehand.

Tip: Whichever immigration area you end up at - if its busy, follow the corridor at the rear to the other area - its very rare that both are busy at the same time... but - after all, no matter how fast you get out - you'll still have to wait for your bags :)

No hurry in Africa!

Edited: 20 February 2012, 16:22
Bedfordshire England
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best direction from plane to immigration at JKIA

Thanks for that help. We have downloaded and filled in the visa forms, so it should just be a case of give them the forms plus the little white ones, pay up and go through to the baggage hall. I know the bags often take ages, but at least getting though there means only one wait! And it always takes us at least an hour to slow down to "hot" time, whether in Kenya or any of the other tropics. Plus, anything to reduce our time in that stuffy area has to be a bonus.

London
Level Contributor
109 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best direction from plane to immigration at JKIA

Yep - just hand em the forms with a big smile :)

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best direction from plane to immigration at JKIA

As Rafiki says, if the nearest Immigation place is very crowded, try the "mirror image" one! When you come in from UK, you are usually at the left, so look right from where people are filling in forms and you'll see a corridor. That leads to the other set of immigration desks.

7. Re: Best direction from plane to immigration at JKIA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 10:27