We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Bucks
Level Contributor
65 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Hi folks!

I have nearly got my itinerary sorted, but I just need a bit of help please :-)

Itinerary: Nairobi – 1 night Aberdare (Ark) – 1 night Nakuru (Flamingo Hill Camp) – 3 nights Mara (Fig Tree Camp)

I have received a few quotes and they are slightly under budget (hurrah!), so I was thinking of maybe spending 2 nights at Nakuru and taking a day trip to Naivasha

Or vice versa (ie stay at Naivasha with a trip to Nakuru?

What do you reckon?

There are 2 of us going in Feb 2013 and it’s a driving safari (might fly back to Nairobi, budget permitting!)

Thanks!

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Yeah thought it would be something like that. Thanks for the info.

Assuming the pink guys are around, I can see how it would be very special. Plus their website talks about some very interesting walks too. Though, if I remember correctly, they can no longer do drives in the Soysambu reserve.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Imagine waking up in the morning with views of Rift Valley quite "literally" @ your doorstep right b4' your eyes. Only a few handful of flamingoes though.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Leeds - forget to mention...

we all have weaknesses, like u do for "JT Safaris"

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Haha, yeah that guy makes me weak in the stomach.........

It was close to being on my itin, can't remember by we swapped it - perhaps the Soysambu thing - but maybe it was because we were already doing Sopa Naivasha for a rest before cracking on. Looks nice though.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Stefanilarda - the pink guys were on Lake Naivasha in abundance on 1 January 2012, and whilst I'd like to think it was because I had come to see them and they were paying hommage, I think that's unlikely .....!! :-)

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Alsacienne - you're tempting me to go back to Naivasha for the umpteenth time. Leeds - Naivasha is truly magical, i've stayed @ Sopa Naivasha, lovely deco & hotel grounds. Also consider Lake Naivasha Country Club, recently given a facelift & i think it's slightly cheaper than Sopa.

Make sure to go to Hell's Gate - did u know that parts of Hollywood movie TombRaider were shot there ?

nyamachomasafaris.com/2011/…

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Yeah I heard that. Seen the pics of where the earth has split, if you like, and you can walk through.

All booked up for Sopa but nice to hear places are getting a makeover every now and again!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Alsacienne & Stefanilarda - no "pink guys" at Naivasha, ever, as far as I know. It's fresh water.

Richard

Bucks
Level Contributor
65 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

Well, i have got a few quotes from safari companies and one suggests not doing Naivasha but Sweetwaters instead. What are your thoughts?

I like the look of Naivasha / Hells Gate where we can hire bikes and go off on our own. amongst the herbivores! We have 4 nights in The Mara and one night at Nakuru so we'll have the big game safari drives there and i thought a day where can go off our own would be fun. Or would Sweetwaters offer more? I quite like the thought of seeing Chimps at Sweetwaters but we otherwise will be see anything else that we wont see in The Mara?

I also like the fact that Naivasha is kind of on the way from Nakuru to Mara. We dont want to go our of our way unecessarily, but if its worth it then of course we will be up for it.

So, the question is - Naivasha or Sweetwaters!

Thank you all so much! xxx

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Itinerary - Navaisha / Nakuru

I'd take Sweetwaters over Naivasha any day. The Olpejeta is one of my favorite areas. But you're right, it isn't on the way. And if I had limited time in the Sweetwaters area, I would skip the Chimp sanctuary and the blind rhino exhibit. To me they are more zoo like and made me feel sad. I'd rather see the animals out and about.

The sceneny is quite different at Hells Gate. And being able to get out and walk about is nice. I was fortunate to be able to see a Ruppels Griffon vulture being released after rehab while there.

So I guess from the standpoint of limited time and looking for something different and some exercise, I'd take Naivasha.