We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

Thought we'd already been here....

Safaricom in new sim registration campaign

http://www.nation.co.ke/business/news/Safaricom+launches+new+SIM+registration+campaign/-/1006/1365426/-/pw20rn/-/index.html

Safaricom plans a nationwide subscriber registration exercise beginning Wednesday to comply with the anticipated law that requires mobile companies to register all SIM card users.

Wales
Level Contributor
692 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

It didn't work last time the Kenyan government tried this money making scam.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

Complete and utter waste of time ......... here we go again

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,548 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

You are right Tf, its less than 2 months since Safaricom sms-ed all their non-Mpesa registered customers saying their sim wasn't registered, including the ones like mine that were, and to register them or face disconnection.

I was passing the Safaricom shop at the time so popped in to ask them if they were sms-ing all the customers whether they were registered or not. They said they were sms-ing the unregistered ones, I said but mine is registered, where did you register it they said, at this very counter said I. Oh they said we sent all the forms to the government they mustn't have done anything with them.

I said so am I supposed to bring my passport in to register it again? They said the easiest thing to do was to pop into an M-Pesa agent and do it their.

I called in a local M-Pesa agent, they said they cannot register sims, only M-Pesa accounts and that the sim already needs to be registered in order to open an M-Pesa account, so he would see if mine was registered. It was.

(There was a table with a man in a hat, with a price tag on it, and a hare using a dormouse that was asleep between them as a cushion)

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

Muguriki; Why do you assume that this is a scam? The idea behind the registration of SIMs is security. I don't recall that there was anything to pay when I registered mine. As many people have a mobile, this is about the only method of tracking people that the government have.

For whatever reason, the mobile companies have not complied. Possibly, they are reluctant to cancel the SIM's of customers who dont regiater and risk losing customers to another network. As the government have a stake in Safaricom, I imagine that this company is the logical place to try to enforce this. I think that it is a good idea, considering the state of heightened secuity, plus an election not too far away.

Example; we recently had an employee who stole from us. When we contacted him, he claimed that he was in Western Kenya. We went to the police, who used his phone signal to track him down and arrest him, in Nairobi.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

"We went to the police, who used his phone signal to track him down and arrest him, in Nairobi."

Which can be done whether the SIM is registered or not, so it has nothing to do with security. We frequently use cell signal triangulation to locate missing people or criminals. The latter are not known for indulging governmental bureaucracy!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,548 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

A network provider has to be able to check whether a sim is authorised to connect to its network (including roaming sims) as part of the connection process, but that has nothing to do with registration in this sense, and it knows which cell the connection is in because you are passed between cells seamlessly as you move around. So you can locate any active connected sims whether registered or not.

I believe that the phone itself can also be tracked via its IMEI number which is given as part of the connection process, (you can track a stolen phone, even if the thieves have thrown away your sim.)

I recollect that the justification that the President gave when making his edict, was primarily crime, not security as such. There has been a lot of burgeoning fraud (similar to email scams) and extortion (many using witchcraft) using mobile phones, plus it is an offence here to send threatening sms's, so the idea was that you could trace the sending sim to an individual. At least that's what I remember him saying, though I also seem to remember something a bit fancyful about terrorists and anonymous sims as well

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

And as anyone with half a brain knows, without making the actual SIM purchase process more secure (ID, credit history (ya - here? haha!), driver's licence, passport etc), these measures are just token gestures. Most of the population don't even have half the IDs listed above. And it's very sad that the fraud works but, when you have a greater population whose education doesn't go much beyond that of primary school, why wouldn't they believe someone SMSing them to tell them they've won KES1m?

We are implementing 21st-century technology in a nation whose basic infrastructure, and cultural and social hierarchy, is somewhere back in medieval times and the two, naturally, do not go hand-in-hand.

Berlin
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

Many people in Kenya have not a physical ( postal) adress, so the tracking by SIM-Card is often the only way to locate and catch criminals resp. to detect links to other persons or other criminals.

But i doubt the enforcement : I agree with the previous posting about

medieval conditions in Kenya . Chaotic situations on airports ( fingerprints , foto, the day Obama became president they only accepted dollars), it was

not allowed to smoke outside! on the streets .Kenya needs reforms in all

fields (police, ,judicary, land, to name only the important), but what has happend since the last elections: The numbers and salarys of the MPs

have doubled ( their salaries are higher than in Germany), ok there is a new Constitution (many years it needed) but what is about Implentation?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,548 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

and still it goes on,

there was an advert in the papers yesterday giving an automated service number so you could check if your sim is registered,

I tried mine, it asks for the number of the document that you registered it with (id, passport, etc). I entered my passport number - back came the message your sim is not registered

This despite registering it at the safaricom shop over a year ago, registering for m-pesa two months ago, which confirmed it was registered with my passport number.

The message says go to a safaricom shop or m-pesa agent - already done both (and the agent says they can't register sims anyway)

time for an email to the papers?

10. Re: Groundhog day??? From today's Nation....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:17