We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immunizations

Leesburg
Level Contributor
88 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Immunizations

I am really confused regarding immunizations for travel in Kenya.

It seems that none are actually required, but the CDC recommends several. What have others from the US done in the regards to what is required and what is recommended. I will be going on safari in June. Thanks for any helpful advice you can give me.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immunizations

We all have our own opinions and levels of risk so don't take any notice of what we say, speak to your doctor and make an informed choice. Malaria medication should be top of your list to discuss with the medic.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immunizations

I understand the confusion. If you take everything to heart that the CDC lists you could agonize over all the listed vaccinations. Malaria medication is a must (Lariam, Malarone, doxycycline the usual candidates; if any history of depression Lariam should be avoided), hepatitis A a good one to have given you can get hep A anywhere in the world, and making sure you're up to date on the usuals (e.g., tetanus) makes good sense to me. In general, the typhoid vaccine should be used when traveling to high-risk areas where one will be staying in rural areas or small towns or choosing to eat uncooked foods and unpeeled fruits, and drink non-bottled water. If you are going on a standard safari I don't think that would apply. But certainly speak with your doctor before heading off.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immunizations

The prior two posters have provided excellent advice. Anti-malarial should be top on your list. Everyone in our group of four did malarone w/o incident.

For me, I had the following vaccines: Hep A, tetanus (my last was 9 years ago), typhoid, polio and because we were also going to and returning through Kenya . . . yellow fever.

The Hep A and tetanus were considered regular preventative and covered 100% by my medical insurance. The others, as travel related, were not covered at all and were rather pricey.

Many also suggest taking a small amount of ciprofloxacin (aka "cipro") in the event you do get a touch of stomach/digestive upset due to food borne bacteria.

Boston...
Level Contributor
65 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immunizations

The last post gives the impression that a yellow fever shot is required for kenya; it is not. We saw a travel doctor and were advised not to get it due to our ages.

People in our group ranged from having no immunizations to having everything. No problems either way. The decision should be based in part on your medical history.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immunizations

My bad, as I thought I had said going to Tanzania and returning through Kenya . . . sorry.

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immunizations

we did them all...it was like 5 shots total PLUS the malaria pills.. but ITA with the above advice.. talk to your doctor so you can make an informed decision for yourself and your health history

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Immunizations

The only MUST for your sake is not required to enter the country and is not an immunisation. This is your anti malaria medicine which you must remember to take before you leave and after you get home! Doxycycline is the cheapest, but as you have been told, follow the advice of your Doctor or Travel Clinic.

8. Re: Immunizations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:41