We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

I am planning to visit Mara, Samburu and Nakuru in August. I am considering using gametracker safaris becase its quite economical. Any views about reliability of this company?

Is August begining good time to see river crossing/migration?

Thanks for any suggestions.

AvinD

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,946 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

I've heard good things about them, go ahead & use them.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k278…

Also consider Best Camping Tours, similar tpe of TO

http://www.bestcampingkenya.com/

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

Thery're both good companies at the budget end. I rarely hear bad feedback on either of them.

Richard

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

Stefan and Yankari,

Thank you both for your valuable reply.

My safari satrts from Nairobi on Manday. I reach Nairobi on Saturday/Sunday. What are inexpensive hotel/motel options to stay in Nairobi? How much shd it cost? What is there to see and do? What are the transport options for that?

Thanks Again,

Avi D

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,946 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

There are plenty of budget hotels in & around NBI city centre., but location is very important in choosing a hotel. Have a look @ Wildebeest Camp & Klub Hse

http://www.wildebeestcamp.com/

http://www.klubhouse.co.ke/

Things to do:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294207-Activiti…

migrationology.com/2011/…

Use the taxi.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

Should I carry dollars or should I convert in KSH? Are the prices written in Dollars or KSH?

How to tip on the safari? How much? Dollars/KSH?

Where to convert to get the best rate?

thanks a lot.

Avi D

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

To use local shops and restaurants you will need Kenyan shillings. For all but your safari guide (who will be used to being tipped in dollars by US visitors) it is better to tip in shillings, some locals have difficulty changing money and they lose part of their tip to the moneychanger in commission, Larger shops, restaurants will convert the price to dollars for you but at a very poor rate of exchange

How much to tip, see 'FAQ - Who should I tip and how much' on the right of the page

Best rates are at Forexs in Kenya, preferably not at the airport, or just use your debit card in an ATM,

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

I am reaching Nairobi in the morning and leaving same day for Samburu. Can we visit Masai ostrich farm at Kitengela on the way to Samburu?

After 2 nights at Samburu, one at Barringo, 1 night at Nakuru and 3 nights in Mara we return to Nairobi. Would it be better to do it while returning from Mara to Nairobi?

We will reach Nairobi around 4-5 pm and have 5 pm flight out of Nairobi next day.

What can we see from 5pm in the evening to about 2 pm next day?

Thanks,

Avi D

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
717 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

avi, just returned from Gametrackers safari... see my post earlier this week My safari experience. Can thoroughly recommend their professionalism

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

Did you go with Gametracker safaris or Gamewatcher safaris?

In your post you mention Gamewatcher safari which is different than the one I am using.

Besides I have asked diff questions in my last post.

Avi D

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenya Safari Gametracker Safaris

Avi D

***I am reaching Nairobi in the morning and leaving same day for Samburu. Can we visit Masai ostrich farm at Kitengela on the way to Samburu?*** This is in the opposite direction. For Samburu you head away from Kitengela towards the city, through Westlands and then onwards.

***After 2 nights at Samburu, one at Barringo, 1 night at Nakuru and 3 nights in Mara we return to Nairobi. Would it be better to do it while returning from Mara to Nairobi?*** Again, you will be coming from the opposite direction.

***We will reach Nairobi around 4-5 pm and have 5 pm flight out of Nairobi next day.

What can we see from 5pm in the evening to about 2 pm next day?*** When you get to Nairobi, it will be peak hour traffic, What hotel will you be staying in?

The next day, if you flight is at 5.00 pm, you need to be at the airport by 3pm, so depending on your hotel, you may need to allow 1-1.5 hrs to get there, so you only get the morning. Advise on hotel, and we can advise on what you could do.