We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the balloon ride worth it

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
717 posts
301 reviews
Save Topic
Is the balloon ride worth it

Really this is just aimed at people who have taken a balloon ride at any stage. We are all booked up for a very special birthday (mine) and this is a one in a lifetime 2 week safari. Hubbie has suggested to make it extra special to take a balloon ride. I know its very expensive for just a one hour trip with breakfast but will I ever have the opportunity again? Probably not. Really looking for confirmation that it was worth the money before i decide, thanks Jan

Oxford
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the balloon ride worth it

Expensive yes but worth it YES, YES, YES. I haven't met anyone who didn't think it was worth it. It's a completely different experiience.

You don't mention where or when you will be on safari but I guess if it is a 2 week one you will be all over.

Have a fabulous time and a very special birthday.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the balloon ride worth it

"I haven't met anyone who didn't think it was worth it."

I know of one - but he and I are renowned for our differences of opinion on this particular subject lol ;-)

rosieandjan - another fan of balloon rides here. Game or no game, still an amazing experience drifting over one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. I live here and can't get enough of them :-)

somerset
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the balloon ride worth it

We did a balloon ride in 2010 over the mara, didn't see loads of animals but the landscape and views were stunning.

Worth the money................................For me,definately!

Have a wonderful time.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the balloon ride worth it

We enjoyed it immensely but consider it to be a once in a lifetime experience.

Just in case, make sure that you are insured. Your day to day travel insurance policy almost certainly will not cover you in the unlikely event of an accident.

Enjoy the flight, it's worth the early start.

5. Re: Is the balloon ride worth it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2013, 17:10
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the balloon ride worth it

ToKenyaSafari:

thank you for that wonderful description, you have us daydreaming now...

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,218 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the balloon ride worth it

❝In the crisp air of dawn, the passengers drink coffee while the crew partially inflates the balloon with enormous fans. The gas burners are then ignited and the balloon fills with hot air slowly raising the baskets. Before departing, finalized checks are made, and the passengers then climb into the balloon basket for a take off ......❞

Eyes on Nature Expeditions blog

Coincidence?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
104 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the balloon ride worth it

As the others have said, yes it may be expensive but it is so worth it.

We took a ride over the Mara and even if we had not seen any animals the view of the sun rising over the landscape was amazing and so memorable.

Our pilot was really good at spotting animals-he even managed to spot a pride of lions with a kill partly hidden amongst trees and reported their location to the ground support crew so that after landing and on the way back to breakfast they took us right to them.

Make sure you take your camera and binoculars and have a great time.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,647 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the balloon ride worth it

<<Coincidence?>>

Perish the thought!

So what has today brought us? An 18 hole Golf Resort next to the Maasai Mara, A festival of some sort up around the Jade Sea and a noisy balloon lifting in the crisp dawn followed by a Champagne breakfast.

That is no coincidence. It is market(ing) forces at work.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
85 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the balloon ride worth it

The OP aimed this question to those who have taken the balloon ride during the safari, so I'm not qualified to answer here, but couldn't resist asking this question: after shelling out 400-odd usd for an 1-hour trip, is it easy to give an objective feedback?

Thanks,

Uday