We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School fees

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
School fees

Can someone tell me how much school fees are roughly.are they paid yearly,monthly and does it change for each district and vary for different ages of children. A teachers has asked me these questions and I don't know the answers so hoping you can help me. Thanks

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School fees

I pay for a child to go to school and have done for five years. Initially it cost £120 per yer when she was at school near Lake Nakuru then she moved back to Mombasa and the cost was £170 per year. At all times, the cost has covered uniform, boarding, food, books and admin. I paid the money to the school via a trusted third party and recieved an itemised bill each time. I paid a one off fee annually. The girl is now a teenager and no longer goes to school, she's now looking at a place in Nairobi University.

Hope that helps.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School fees

Hi,

I sponsored a few kids through school some years back. They went to different schools in Mombasa/Nairobi so their fees were all different. They were all however paid for on a term by term basis.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School fees

I would not pay one shilling through a teacher /headmaster of any school

Term by term through a known trusted person is the only way that child will benefit by your donation

each and every month I am hearing very sad stories of committed people paying for a childs education but finding out the money is scammed into the staffs pockets . .

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School fees

It varies from school to school and the age of the child..At primary school the fees are quite modest....just enough to cover uniform etc. Secondary school is around £250 per year. University in Uganda is cheaper so we have typically supported young people there rather than in Kenya. Currently we are supporting about 190 children and young people aged from 2 - 22 and from nursery to Masters Degree with a whole range of vocational training in between. So in a nutshell anything from £20 - £4000 per year!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: School fees

Secondary school fees for Word of Life school at Diani Beach, Ukunda, Mombasa between £130-£180 per term.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School fees

Thank you all for your replies, they have been very helpful will pass this info on.

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School fees

Wow Val; I had no idea that you are supporting so many people through their education. What a fantastic and selfless thing to do. I feel humbled.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School fees

I just coordinate things Kileleshwa. We are a support group and there are about 200 of us fund-raising and sponsoring children and grannies (we are also supporting 40 grannies and families as well as the children). We work with the orphanage Directors and a very small charity in the UK who have about 16 projects in East Africa including the one that we help. It started out in 2006 when we began fund-raising to build a new orphanage and has just grown and grown.....

I know all the children and families but it never ceases to amaze me that so many people in the UK are willing to support people they have never met in another part of the world. My mother brought us up to believe that the world is full of good and kind people. By and large I think she was right.

9. Re: School fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:15