We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,129 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

nation.co.ke/News/…index.html

“The fuel prices will adversely affect tour safaris ......."

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

a straight 7 kes a liter up.......

Masai Mara National...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

Wow, this is not good news to our industry.

hhhmmm... I think we should think of alternative means of transport that does not use petrol as fuel...

Any suggestions?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

Like what? We don't even have a decent public transport infrastructure in terms of trains. This is why we're held to ransom on petrol and on air fares. KES92.5 per litre to KES118.5 per litre in 5 months. What a joke. Totally artificial shortages created in order to line someone's pocket, as usual. More poverty created, and more crime :-(

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
798 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

How about Donkey and cart for safaris? ( not really serious and its not April 1st lol

My fuel today cost me £140.9 per litre (:-((

Edited: 16 April 2012, 09:37
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

Some folks don't know how lucky they are do they Lualeni?

Up from £1.35 to £1.50 today and nothing to show for it but an empty bank account and a rich Politician!

But I don't think this will have much impact on Safaris when you think some Camps are already charging silly money like $1000 per night.

Zebra back Safaris anyone? Eland Carts?

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

can see the mat drivers going on strike yet again

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

I'd have to disagree with you on the above mfuwe - sadly I do think this will have a knock-on effect on safari prices. Even the camps charging $1000 per night will still be affected because of the higher import and transport costs required to get items to the camps. I saw it for myself when I was managing a camp a few years ago. Those paying $1000 per night will still expect their Molton Brown and Bulgari products in the bathroom, and their St Dalfour conserves on the breakfast table (quite rightly, when you're paying those kinds of prices). So the camps will still have to bring them in, as well as the 450-thread-count Egyptian Cotton sheets etc etc etc blah blah blah, and pay the increased import and transportation charges - which in turn will be passed on to the client.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

"can see the mat drivers going on strike yet again"

My totally selfish response to that is "good"! That'll at least halve the number of lunatics trying to kill me on my daily drives lol!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

Well without going into the Accountancy too much if the punters are daft enough to pay it then why not? But in pure cost terms the price of fuel in all those foll de roll imports is a neglible %. After all, they have already been imported by the time they get to Kenya using Fuel costs paid elsewhere.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Higher matatu fares & increase safari prices as fuel goes up

I know we pay a lot in the UK for fuel but relatively its not as expensive as in Kenya when you see the wages, a good friend of ours has a taxi at one of the North Coast Hotels, if lucky he earns about £300 per month including tips, the hotel has said they will offer free transfers to & from the airport, they use the hotel taxis but only pay the drivers 1,500kes for the journey so if he is in traffic during the rush hour he makes nothing but has to do it or his car will be replaced with someone who will do the trip.

We complain but after witnessing the way people try to survive in Kenya, this hike makes a massive difference.

As for the Matatus, well thats another story, Matutus owned by greedy people who will do nothing to make their vehicles roadworthy and then the drivers give the police money daily to turn a blind eye and put lives at risk. They are a menace, too many times we have saw the aftermath of their lunacy, chewing mirra, high as kites and not caring about human life, an absolute disgrace !!!!

Edited: 16 April 2012, 13:20