We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you are self catering....

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
If you are self catering....

Dairy in Kenya scarce after drought

www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-04/D9U8NGG80.htm

"Got milk? Pass the butter? Not in Kenya, where both of those staples are increasingly scarce because a drought-induced dairy shortage is wreaking havoc on the milk, butter and yogurt shelves."

Nakumatt Nyali hasn't had butter for the past couple of weeks. and milk is being rationed. Tuskys in town did have a limited supply ol butter.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you are self catering....

So after 20 years of the "Heifer Project" and "Send a cow" there is still a milk shortage? I think not. All I see is a shortage of management skills much as was (is??) in evidence in the EEC with its Milk Lakes and Butter Mountains.

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you are self catering....

Was told its because there's not been the rain so the grass isn't growing so the cows are producing less. Not a farmer but it seems logical.

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you are self catering....

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Milk+becomes+a+near+luxury+item/-/1056/1391310/-/1xhbllz/-/index.html

In some outlets, shoppers were restricted to buying only two packets of milk in an effort to ensure that as many customers as possible got some milk.

New KCC chairman Matu Wamae says the shortage of milk has been caused by the annual dry spell that falls between the months of December and April.

“This is a temporary and normal situation. We expect that production will go up with the onset of the long rains.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you are self catering....

Drink Soya milk instead

africa-do-business.com/soya-machines-product…

South West England...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you are self catering....

As long as the hops grow I'll be happy!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you are self catering....

it is a very serious situation for the "sick" children in the orphanges. .. Drinking Chocolate is a good substitute if anyone wants to buy some for the homes....I am packing Marvel for the old mans cuppa. . Bruce - Soya? in tea? agh !!

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you are self catering....

I only drink green tea

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you are self catering....

<<“This is a temporary and normal situation. We expect that production will go up with the onset of the long rains.>>

Says it all really. Failure to manage the good times to cover the bad!

Anyone know the shelf life of butter?

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: If you are self catering....

no longlife milk just fresh which goes off in a day , noticed a shortage 4 weeks ago , people buying powder milk just to get thro

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you are self catering....

The current shortage is also to do with there being less farmers keeping cattle, due to persistent dry weather, leading to shortage of food for the cows, which then dry up (and also don't breed). Cattle are quite costly to purchase, so once a producers cattle have died, or been sold because they cant be fed, it is difficult to start up again.

Smaller producers do not have the resources to buy in pellet food, or similar, up front, to get the cows back into milk. Even if animals are donated by a charity, they still have to be fed.

Its very easy to point the finger, but to create a 'butter mountain' surely requires a glut of milk at certain times of the year and this doesn't seem to be happening in Kenya. Even during the wetter times, milk will frequently be out of stock by lunchtime in my experience.

In any case, regarding butter, many Kenyans use 'Blue Band' rather than butter, making this a product very much of secondary importance to the supply of liquid milk.