We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

Hi I have only been on one 5 day trip to the Masi Mara before and fell in love so we are going back the beginning of Sept and intend staying 6 nights in the Masi Mara and are looking at which other parks to go to.

We are self driving 4x4 and know the roads are not great so any advice on best Roads to use or avoid would be appreciated.

So first 6 nights in Mara and then looking at possibly

11th and 12th Lake Nakuru Lodge

13th Treetops (Aberdare)

14th and 15th Sopa Lodge in Samburu

Are we missing any must see places welcome any advice.

Many Thanks Annette

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

we enjoyed Samburu and Lake Nakuru very much.. you might want to look into Meru as well

We had a wonderful trip.. but if I had to do it over, I would probably skip Aberdare.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

Hi Annette

Yes, if you're self-driving and thinking of going all the way to Samburu, you might alternatively go somewhere in Laikipia - eg Lewa or Il Ngwesi, or even closer to the highlands, Solio. If you're set on Samburu, don't go to Sopa, which is miles up the hill away from the river and no great shakes. Instead try Elephant Bedroom, Larsens' or Intrepids.

I would personally give Treetops a big miss and if you really want to spend a night in what is basically a wooden travelodge, go to Serena Mountain Lodge, which is actually in the forest, on the slopes of Mt Kenya, rather than sitting on a cleared-up building site, surrounded by dust/mud - and with decent food and reasonably good waterhole game viewing.

I'm in two minds about Nakuru, but it will be fairly crowded at that time of year. I think a night on Mt Kenya and four nights in Laikipia would be much better.

Happy planning!

Richard

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

Thanks so much it is definately worth knowing that Sopa is far up the hill and Treetops sounds like we could be diappointed so really appreciate your tips.

Thanks for the advice on Laikipia we had not looked at this so will do some more research, and look at Meru as well. Thanks again

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

I'm looking for a change of itinerary next year and was thinking Mount Kenya/Sambura or Tsavo/Amboseli.

Would 2 Nights in Mount Kenya plus two nights at Laikipia be a viable option for a group?

My other group will be doing Nakuru/Mara. I'll be accompanying both groups.

uk
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

The suggestion to miss Sopa and go for alternatives is interesting - Sopa is abou £120 per night, whereas the rest are 3 or more times cost - are they really worth the difference???

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

Val, I'd really have thought one night at Mount Kenya, assuming you don't get there too late, would be enough. Then three nights somewhere in Laikipia.

Aardvark: you're right, they're going to work out much more expensive. And I wasn't thinking about Annette's budget, I must admit! But they're not top-end places either. I'm not a big fan of large lodges in general, but I don't have any particular beef with the Sopa chain - and actually the Sopas at Naivasha and Amboseli are quite nice. It's just that Sopa Samburu seems in dire need of refurbishment and it's not in a great location (a good emergency address when the riverside camps have flooded, but that's about it).

Richard

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

Richard,

Thanks for the prompt response. You're probably right about Mount Kenya. Its years since I've been and I did so love it last time I was there. Laikipia would be completely new. I'm sure I could even sell that to my husband. He has been to the Mara for the last 4 years and won't come with me, in 2013, unless I can find something special!

uk
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

Yankari thanks - re: Nakuru - I suspect Annette was going their for the Flamingo's - 2 days maybe too lng? Are there better places to go for these??

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

Yes, there have actually not been very many flamingos at Lake Nakuru over the last year or so. The biggest flocks in Kenya currently are at Lake Bogoria.

Richard

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best National parks to visit and iternary advise on 12 night

Thanks so much Yankari any recommendations on accommodation near by?