We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

More increases on the way (for nothing):

" Kenya Airports to increase departure tax by 100% from July 1st"

Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) will, from July, double the amounts air passengers pay to access its facilities as it seeks cash to upgrade airport. The authority has received approval from the Finance minister Githae to increase the service charge for international passengers from $20 to $40 even domestic travellers will see an increase of 66%.

“The service charge collected is very significant in the ongoing improvement of our airports,” said KAA communications manager Dominic Ngigi “It is a government directive, which we have no option but to comply with,”

The air passenger service charge —established 14 years ago — is collected by Kenya Revenue Authority on behalf of the airports authority and the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority.

Finance minister Githae gazetted the latest changes on April 13 but KAA’s financial reports indicate that they had anticipated the changes as early as October last year. The fee increment comes at a time when airlines are grappling with higher cost of jet fuel forcing them to increase the fuel surcharge on tickets to cushion themselves."

All the above assuming one can even get to the airport in the first place: Journey time Karen to Jomo, last Sunday at 6pm - 3 hours. This country is fast falling apart again.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,656 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

there seemed to be a spate of kidnaps around 3 years ago, there were several reported in the Kenyan papers, mainly middle class Kenyans often kidnapped as they waited at the gates to enter their secure compounds. Quite a few attempts ended in shoot outs, i seem to remember one involving an MP. There were one or two where a ransom wasn't even demanded, they either got the victim to tell them their pin or just took the victim to an ATM every day to withdraw the daily limit until the account was blocked. Then the emphasis briefly switched to kidnapping middle class kids on their way to school. This even spread to Nyali at the coast, but I seem to remember all the kidnappers being shot dead in a shoot out and the kid being rescued. I haven't heard of any since

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

"Interesting that this company KK Security referred to home invasions coming down to only twice a year - which seems pretty low."

Yup. Not only is it low, it's also completely wrong. No doubt playing it down for the media. But then KK don't have much credibility in the wider security industry here. Never heard of Laikipia being considered dangerous though. We have a house there.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

I am travelling to Nairobi airport in August from the UK for 10 days, then flying back to the UK.

This might sound a silly question but need clarification.

When do you pay the departure tax on arrival or on leaving?

Do you only pay the tax once?

Thanks

Mike

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

If you're flying out of Nairobi on a scheduled airline, your departure tax is pre-paid - part of the price you paid for the ticket!

Richard

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
34 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

Would just like a little clarification since we will be arriving in a couple of weeks. I have a daughter & son in law who will be arriving at 8 pm and after clearing customs and claiming luggage are to be met by someone to transport them to our hotel in Karen. Should I be concerned or speak to my agent about the route that is taken at that time of night? Since I live in Luanda, I'm well aware of the risks of traveling in certain areas of the city, particularly after dark!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

You probably don't need to. Any good taxi company or private driver will know to avoid the panya routes any time after dusk. At that time of night, once they have cleared customs, the main roads to Karen should be pretty clear in any case. If it will set your mind at rest, speak to the agent. If you need figures to back up your case, PM me (I work in private security) and I will be happy to provide.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
34 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

Thanks! PM sent :-)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

We're flying in on Thomson chartered flight on 21st August for 2 weeks. Will we have to pay $40 per person when departing Mombasa on 4th September?

Dave

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,656 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

Yes, Thomson customers are the only ones who have to pay it (everyone else includes it in the price of the ticket)

40. Re: Kenya Departure Tax Up 100%

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 07:16