We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is better Samburu or Sweetwaters

Nashua, NH
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What is better Samburu or Sweetwaters

Hi, Me, my wife and two kids (8 and 11) are travelling to Kenya in July. I need help deciding between Samburu National park and Sweetwaters, before we head to Lake Nakuru and Maasai mara.

Please suggest and list the differences.

Thanks

Gautam Shah

nyc
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is better Samburu or Sweetwaters

I prefer Samburu.

However, the drive from Nairobi is 6/hrs and then from here to Lk. Nakuru is 6/hrs, before at least 5/hrs to the Mara.

Sweetwater's though is on the private Ol Pejeta conservancy, where besides game drives can do walks and night game drives; here also the Chimp Sanctuary. Probably just easier to visit here, shorter drive time (3/hrs from NBO, then 3/hrs to Nakuru).

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is better Samburu or Sweetwaters

Hi,

because you are travelling with kids i would recommand to go to Sweetwaters despite i am a big fan of Samburu.

It is not only the shorter driving distance, it is also that at Sweetwaters, there are more activities for children offered and it might be a little bit more interesting for them, e.g. the Chimpanzee sanctuary.

bye

Chrissy

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is better Samburu or Sweetwaters

I'd also vote for Sweetwaters. I've been with lots of different people over the last few years and Sweetwaters is always everyone's favourite. Its particularly god for children.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is better Samburu or Sweetwaters

I agree, I think Ol Pejeta (the former Sweetwaters) is superb. The way they combine cattle herding with big game in one conservancy and have made a success of it, is really impressive. But I'm not a fan of the chimp refuge. I can't understand the point of it - the females are sterilised on arrival and many of the adults are clearly pretty disturbed from their sad experiences in captivity before arriving at the sanctuary. Seeing as Sweetwaters is run by Fauna and Flora International, I'd always assumed before visiting it that the chimp sanctuary was a breeding programe and conservation project. Not a bit of it - it's just a welfare facility for damaged chimps that can't live anywhere else. So I guess it's worthy, but I'd far rather see all that money spent on chimp conservation.

Seem to be in a bit of a soapbox mood this evening - apologies. . . I'll climb down.

Richard

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is better Samburu or Sweetwaters

Hi, i would also vote for the ol pejeta conservancy which is short distance from nairobi and to nakuru since you are travelling with kids. It is also conducive as the weather here is favourable compared to the northern part of samburu which may turn to be harsh temps for your family at day and night....

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is better Samburu or Sweetwaters

Another vote for me on Sweetwaters, b'coz of the kids.

7. Re: What is better Samburu or Sweetwaters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:17