We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency and jabs

dorset uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
currency and jabs

Can you advise please, we are going on a Kuoni Safari in August, what currency should we take, sterling, US dollars or Kenya Shillings?

Also do we really need Yellow fever jabs if going there straight from the UK?

Thanks in advance

bristol
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency and jabs

Personally have always taken sterling and changed up as and when required.

You do not need yellow fever jabs unless you are travelling from an infected country so not required from the UK. Have a great safari.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency and jabs

Are you flying straight to Safari when you land in Kenya? If so I would recommend taking some Kenya shillings. There are ATMs at Nairobi airport but if they aren't working you'll be a bit stuck. Also if you are going straight to the lodges I wouldn't plan on getting money changed there as you'll get a terrible exchange rate.

If you are flying to the Coast first then you'll have more time to find ATMs that work and get cash changed in various places but not if your first destination is safari.

My recommendation would be to get at least some kenya shillings in the UK. You don't need US dollars - you can use Ksh or £ for your visas.

dorset uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency and jabs

Thanks, that's what we wanted to know, we don't need the yellow fever jabs then.

We are staying over night in Nairobi and then on a 12 day safari in lodges so getting some Ksh first would save time. I presume you can use cards (visa) at the lodges?

Edited: 17 May 2012, 18:54
4. Re: currency and jabs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 04:42