We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

v1 visa form

devon,uk
Level Contributor
285 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
v1 visa form

Hi,

im assuming if i download this from the Kenyan high commission,that on arrival in Kenya this is acceptable at the airport, ?

Many thanks

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: v1 visa form

Yes - no problem

devon,uk
Level Contributor
285 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: v1 visa form

Thanks, reading more info on the website it also says you need a passport photo,is this true if you are just visiting for a fortnights holiday ?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: v1 visa form

No you don't need a photo when you get your visa on arrival, they take your photo at the counter, where they also take your fingerprints electronically

devon,uk
Level Contributor
285 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: v1 visa form

ok,many thanks for your help.

Chennai (Madras...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: v1 visa form

What we need to say to Indian Embassy at chennai airport since we dont have the VISA for kenya and we will be getting it upon arrival in Nairobi?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: v1 visa form

I presume you mean passport control at Chennai airport, (there aren't Embassies at airports, and India wouldn't have an Embassy in its own country anyway). Passport control don't usually ask if you have a visa for the country you are flying to. The airline might ask if you have a visa when you check in, if so just tell them you are getting a visa on arrival

hants
Level Contributor
24 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: v1 visa form

We were going to send off for our visa in the uk- is it really better to get it at the airport? ( bit worried about sending passport in the post) what are the queues like? Would rather spend 10mins longer in line than lose our passports in the post!! Sorry if this has been asked before!! Thank you Lorr

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: v1 visa form

My family got their visa on arrival in Nairobi while I joined the fast track queue as I already had mine. They got through before me! Sometimes it's the other way around - you can never tell.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: v1 visa form

Hi,

It costs a little more to get visas in advance, special delivery postage there and back, cost of a postal order and passport photos, and of course you have to trust your passport to the Royal Mail which you are not keen to do.

Where are you flying into?

In the case of Nairobi whether you have a visa or not does not make a huge difference to the time you queue, as the flights are scheduled and its a hub so some people stay airside, so planefuls of people don't hit Immigration at the same time, so either way you will normally be through relatively quickly and certainly before the bags have come off. If a number of flights land at the same time and the queues get bad they try and manage the queues and send people to all the available desks anyway, so people with visas and without can end up in the same queue. I've been straight thorough with no queue but its typically around 15 to 20 minutes, and the longest I've queued is around 35 to 40 minutes. Though I have heard of it taking longer.

However at Mombasa because a charter plane full of tourists hits Immigration at the same time, it does make a difference in the time you are in the queue, the queue for people with visas is shorter than the queues for people wanting to buy them and it moves twice as fast. But once through Immigration you may still have to wait for your bags, (I've seen the people at the front of the queue still waiting at the carousel when people much further back in the queue have got theirs and left, its a lottery) and if you are on a holiday company transfer you will still have to wait for the slowest customer.

If you want to pay at the airport, then download the form from the link below, if you fill it in at home, (saves the scrum for forms, pens and somewhere to write at the airport) and get seats near the front of the plane you should be near the front of the queue.

You can pay in sterling (£30) at the airports.

http://www.kenyahighcommission.net/visa.html

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: v1 visa form

Some airlines will hand out visa application forms in-flight where they can be filled in at your ease (along with a Kenyan customs declaration form).

As mentioned above you can download the paperwork and complete it in advance.

Current rates are $50/£30 for a tourist visa, half for kids.

I once previously went to the trouble of arranging our Kenyan visas in advance in the UK. It cost us twice as much and did not save us any time or spare us any hassle on arrival. On our subsequent visits since we have always bought our visas on arrival -and are still through before the luggage!