We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insecurity killing tourism in Coast

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Insecurity killing tourism in Coast

www.standardmedia.co.ke/…

Charter flights, which have ceased operations, according to Hersi, include Corsair from France, with Air Berlin from Germany down to one weekly flight from its initial two. He said TUI UK that operated out of Manchester in the UK has pulled out, leaving only the one that originates from London.

Swiss-based Edelweiss is also said to be considering stopping its flights while another British operated airline — Monarch — has pulled out altogether, and will not be resuming soon until 2014, according to Hersi.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insecurity killing tourism in Coast

Last week the Thompson plane was full -but mostly for the South Coast as it was the cheapest - with a few package deals going for around £600 this past two weeks but now doubled I fear the rest of the months will have very few tourists coming in to Mombasa

North Coast this week is pretty bleak !

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Insecurity killing tourism in Coast

According to a friend of ours only 15 visitors from UK off the Thomson flight at Travellers this week and 10 or so to Bamburi Beach....the beach is virtually deserted of tourists....one fears for the future if some more European charter flights pull out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Insecurity killing tourism in Coast

Don't fear too much>>>>>

The tourism sector that accounts for 63 per cent of Kenya’s total earnings. Do these earnings benefit the people at the coast? NO. Numerous studies on tourism in "third world countries" indicate that less than $0.05 of every $1 generated in the tourism remains in the local areas or countries. In the case of Kenya, mostly foreigners and a few politicians and up-country folks rake in the money while the locals work for starvation wages, toil in the hotels for access to left-overs, or starve. People at the coast don't benefit from and don't need this tourism

uk
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Insecurity killing tourism in Coast

flight prices going up, departure tax and elections next year , doesnt look to promising

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Insecurity killing tourism in Coast

Nic 6 i concur with you.The benefits that are accrued from tourism by the big hotel establishments and a majority of the safari firms,never get to benefit the workers who work more like slaves to rake in the income that come with good tourism numbers.

Most tour drivers in Kenya earn less than 100$ a month while they make an average of 3000$ for the respective tour firm." every month.

Most Tour drvers survive on tips and fleecing their clients to keep surviving on a dollar a day.90% of the tour firms in Kenya are in this category,and its very unfortunate.

I have worked for some of these companies,and surely i can assert that tourism rarely does benefit the common man.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Insecurity killing tourism in Coast

Nic 6 i concur with you.I have worked for several safari firms in Nairobi as a tour driver and i can assert firmly that the work force that works like a slave rarely does benefit from the huge profits that are accrued from tourism.

Most tour drivers earn an average income of 100$ a month while their labour rakes in an average of 3000$ a month.

Its a very poor state of events.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insecurity killing tourism in Coast

This is just like reading the Cape Town forum. Europe is in recession & as the politicians dither it will only get worse so money will be tight for years to come. At least the UK is outside the doomed Euro! However, on the downside we have to contend with the continually increasing cost of APD applied by HMC&E on behalf of our beloved politicians!

The end result is that European tourist numbers will continue to fall in the immediate future. I would suggest that Kenya might want to look towards China as a market. Unfortunately that would mean losing even more ellies & rhinos due to increased poaching. :-(

8. Re: Insecurity killing tourism in Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 03:41