We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary opinion

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
320 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary opinion

I am planning on going next June 2013. There are two itineraries that I am considering. I am planning on traveling with my children ages 24 and 21. The oldest has worked as a guide in Alaska and is really into the outdoors. The rest of us like our creature comforts.

Two nights some where near Nairobi to get over jet lag, visit giraffe center and elephant sanctuary. Giraffe Manor or some place else, not sure if it is worth the expense but it does sound wonderful.

3 nights Ol Pejeta Bush Camp (fly into Nanyuki)

2 nights Loisaba Lodge and 1 night Loisaba Star beds

3 nights Elephant Pepper Cam

or

3 nights Ol Donyo Wuas

3 nights Lewa Safari Camp

3 nights Cottars 1920 Camp

Should I be adding on Amboseli to any of these itineraries?

Thanks for the help.

LA
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary opinion

OK ... I know Kenya pretty well. Been there many times. I don't know the names of all the expensive tourist camps. Make sure you visit the Masai Mara - that's really important. People go to Amboseli because of the classic view of Kilimanjaro, but actually the place is generally a dustbowl and does not have a lot of wildlife (quite a few wildebeest, but nothing spectacular). I like Tsavo West park a lot more than Amboseli - very pretty down there and you can see the spring-fed hippo pools. Lots of other animals too. Good luck!

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary opinion

we stayed at Giraffe Manor for 2 nights.. which is the minimum I would recommend since you are most likely going to arrive late and it would be a shame to leave after breakfast.

It is WONDERFUL... the staff is amazing.. they'll do everything for you.. dinner is by candlelight .. the rooms immaculate.. and the property is really, really beautiful...and of course, feeding the giraffes is a fun experience.

Book early Do ask for Betty's room.. you get a large patio and spectacular views.

I am not familiar with the other places you mentioned.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary opinion

i think you have a great program which is quite balanced with activities and game drives. At Ol donyo you will enjoy the activities and freedom to walk around/ horse rides not so much of animals same with lewa cultural visits and walks which is a nice experience and then you can do all the game in Maasai Mara and cottars is a nice selection given the month of june if migration starts early you might be lucky here. The other itinerary Ol pejeta is more of game - the only place you can see the big fiive and chimpanzees in the same ecosystem but you will break this with Loisaba (not far from Ol pejeta) where you might be having more activities, walks, cultural visit etc..then Mara at Elephant pepper for game drives.

If can add Amboseli but you will not miss much if you dont - maybe the views of the snow capped Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
320 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary opinion

Thanks

nyc
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary opinion

Both are very good, however, as wonderful Ol Pejeta Bush Camp, it is a bit more rustic than the others and some in your group might not be 'happy campers.' If you decided on this itinerary, I would do only 2/nts here and add the nt to the Masai Mara at EPC.

If Itin. #2, you can get views of Kili from Ol Donyo (on a clear day, of course). And, Cottar's is excellent for a June visit when the herds often commence an early arrival to the Masai Mara. This is also likely the more expensive of the two, but do make certain you're getting the 6+/nt discount of 10% on room rates for the nights at Lewa and Cottar's.

The same discount would apply on Itin #1 for Ol Pejeta, Loisaba and EPC.

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
320 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary opinion

4sandi,

Yes I am getting a discount. I stayed in beautiful "fancy" camps in Botswana which I loved but my favorite camp was a small basic camp in the Liyanti swamp with only 5 tents. I loved having animals right outside my tent! I just like to have some type of shower and I'm fine. I am having a really hard time deciding, like choosing between two wonderful deserts. Still considering switching EPC with Cottars or should I go to EPC and Cottars?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary opinion

We visited both EPC and Cottar's on the same trip. Cottar's first, then EPC for 2/nts each with a road transfer between the two... a game drive all the way. Left Cottar's after breakfast and at EPC in time for lunch.

Cottar's is to the southeast outside the reserve on a private conservancy, whereas, EPC is likewise, outside the reserve, but to the north on the Mara North Conservancy.

If you wish to visit both camps, consider: 3/nts Ol Donyo, 2/nts Lewa, 2/nts each Cottars and EPC.

8. Re: Itinerary opinion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 02:17