We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help With Land Transfers Between National Parks

Scottsdale, Arizona
1 post
Save Topic
Need Help With Land Transfers Between National Parks

Hi, Im trying to plan my safari visiting three different places: Laikipia, Naviasha and Mara. Does anybody know any good car hire/driver that they can recommend to take me from/to the different parks. We will be flying into Laikipia and out of Mara but need the transfers in between. How much can I expect to pay?

LA
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help With Land Transfers Between National Parks

Naivasha and Mara are pretty standard.

Laikipia ... are you sure that's a primary destination? Did you have in mind Samburu, perhaps? The Laikipia are a clan of the Maasai tribe and do have a territory up there. They were famous a long time ago (centuries) as being warlike, but are just struggling to get by like everyone else now. I wouldn't steal any cows up there, if I were you. Hahahahahaha ! Seriously - there may be some small park or game refuge, but it's not on most peoples' agendas.

You can call major car rental places in Nairobi and they will rent you a car with a driver. I suggest that you get some competitive rates. good luck!

Edited: 22 June 2012, 01:47
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help With Land Transfers Between National Parks

JISQ

If you are flying into Laikipia, and out of the Mara, then the distance from Laikipia to Naivasha to Mara can be quite long. To get a vehicle to transfer you would still cost you a round trip from Nairobi.

So if you are willing to pay for that, then you can ask your tour agent to organise that for you.

At the three places you are staying, will you be using the lodge vehicles for game drives? If so, then it is not worth transferring by road. You can fly from Laikipia area to Naivasha via Nairobi (Safarilink do this), And then Naivasha to Mara. Where will you be staying in all three places?

RWA

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help With Land Transfers Between National Parks

"Laikipia ... are you sure that's a primary destination?"

More erroneous/uninformed posting... you don't know Kenya very well do you? Laikipia is a place. A place that's very popular with international and resident tourists alike, with several air operators offering services there and some beautiful lodges and luxury tented camp accommodation.

The Laikipiak are the people thought to be part of the Maasai.

"but it's not on most peoples' agendas.". Wrong, again.

Oh, and what's a "game refuge"???

Edited: 22 June 2012, 09:11
Mombasa Kenya
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help With Land Transfers Between National Parks

I too agree lakipia is infact the best area to stay. on transfers, i would suggest you book a package with the tented camps like kicheche whom you can use even for the trip to naivsha. after that they can transfer to the airstrip for your flight to masai mara to any of their camps or other lodges who also have a package including accommodation and game drives with their own vehicles. you can also contact other operators who can book for you the entire package like lilac adventures, kicheche, pal davies adventures among others.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help With Land Transfers Between National Parks

My jaw dropped at #1's post!

Just in case anyone else doesn't know, Laikipia is 8000 square kilometres, bang in the middle of Kenya on the highland slopes to the north and northwest of Mount Kenya. Heard of Ol Pejeta? Lewa? Loisaba? Il Ngwesi? Tassia? El Karama? Borana? They're all in Laikipia.

It's fantastic country, mostly former cereal and cattle ranches (except the forest on the steep slopes along the river courses), now much of it given over to wildlife conservancies, with some of Kenya's very best game areas - including the majority of Kenya's black rhinos. For visitors with a good budget, Laikipia is fast becoming the first place to think of visiting, as the camps and lodges (easily 50 by now I think) are among the very best in the country, and indeed anywhere in Africa.

To answer JISQ's original post, I'd contact a good fleet-owner with some first-class vehicles and perhaps silver driver-guides. Someone like Sunworld would be good. They'd charge around $200 a day, and I think renting the vehicle for four days (a day for them to drive to Laikipia, two days to take you to the Mara, with an overnight somewhere, and a day for them to drive back to Nairobi) would cover it. You could perhaps drive through Aberdare National Park on day 1 and spend the night at Naivasha, before driving down to the Mara on day 2.

Richard

nyc
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help With Land Transfers Between National Parks

Are you trying to plan this direct with the lodges/camps? or using an agent who often get better rates that going direct?

If an agent, they can arrange it all. Transfer to Wilson for your flight to Laikipia; lodging at Laikipia; flight to NBO for connection to Naivasha; lodging at Naivasha; flight from Naivasha to the Mara and then back to NBO.

Where are you planning on staying at Laikipia, Naivasha and in the Mara?

... as to Simba m - just forget any posting this person makes... simply weird replies to everything and knows little; seems to only wants to be heard!

7. Re: Need Help With Land Transfers Between National Parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 05:40