We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meningitis Vaccination

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Topic
Meningitis Vaccination

Can anyone comment on the Meningitis vaccination? Is it necessary when traveling in Augusts and what are the side effects? I feel like it is a better safe than sorry situation, but if it comes with sever side effects, I might have to rethink it since the CDC only recommends for travel from Dec.

Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meningitis Vaccination

Best to discuss this with your doctor. I'm travelling to Kenya later this month, and after discussion with my doctor, a meningitis vax was one of the shots I had. Meningitis shots are given routinely now to young people in Australia. Generally no side effects, and a good preventative. But to make sure it is right for you, discuss with your doctor.

And also discuss malaria prophylaxis.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meningitis Vaccination

A meningitis vaccination is not required for entry to Kenya. Definitely discuss with your doctor whether a vaccine would be appropriate for you.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meningitis Vaccination

And just to be clear. . . no shots are mandatory for travelling to Kenya.

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meningitis Vaccination

I don't think there are any legal requirements anywhere for meningitis shots. As with any health issues, it is a matter of working out what is appropriate for each individual, once the legal requirements are met. Yellow fever immunisatiion is a requirement for me to return to australia following a visit to kenya. But, after discussion with my doctor (who was born, trained, and has worked in Africa), I've decided to have a number of other immunistations, including Hepatitis B, typhoid, and an updated tentanus shot.

And antimalarials. Which are not legally required, but make very good sense.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,204 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meningitis Vaccination

In 6 years in Kenya I have known only one person (a local) who has contracted meningitis and sadly he died. I have seen a few articles or two about breakouts of it in the press, but no more than I have in the UK where there are similar occasional breakouts in a school or college.

In the same time period, sadly, I have known several people who have died from malaria

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meningitis Vaccination

Yep, malaria is a significant risk in Africa. Meningitis is a much lower risk, and can be contracted anywhere. It probably should be considered in the context of overall health management. In my case, as with my tetanus booster, the trip to the doctor to discuss travel matters was an easy opportunity to discuss other routine immunizations that aren't necessarily linked with travel.

The golden rule - check with a health professional for what works for each individual, their health status, and the relative risks and benefits

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Meningitis Vaccination

Besides discussing any inocs with your health professional, meningitis isn't one on the usual list. Of course, nowadays seems many Western countries are injecting youngsters and college students for this as this is often where contracted and can be deadly.

As others, there are NO inocs specifically required for entry to Kenya, rather that travelers regardless wherever the destination, at least be current with jabs they had as children and then any specific for a said locale. Again, meningitis isn't one of them.

For me... it's just Tetanus and HepA boosters every 10/yrs; the Polio booster I had a few years back will be good for balance of my life however long that might be. Of course, malaria meds and always Cipro. Then up-and-away!

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
8. Re: Meningitis Vaccination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:16