We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

wales
1 post
Save Topic
Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

Please can someone help - I have recently booked a beach holiday to Mombassa for my 30th Birthday where we will hopefully experience a one day safari with JT Safaris. The day after I booked this holiday I have found out I am 4 weeks pregnant. It is too late to cancel the holiday or claim on insurance. I have spoken with my doctor and all maleria tables may cause abnomalities to my baby which I am not prepared to take. Has anyone taken maleria tablets whilst pregnant or travelled to Mombassa without any maleria precautions? Any advice would be greatly recieved as travelling on the 13th August. Thanks xxxx

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

Take your Doctors advice. He is the professional. The rest of us on here have no idea!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

This is always a tough situation. Certainly, no one would want to have the child you are carrying put to risk either from medication or the effects of malaria, especially during the first trimester. Have you considered speaking with/writing to your operator and explaining the situation? Perhaps if the operator won't permit a cancellation they will hold the money and put it toward a trip sometime subsequent to the birth. Just a thought. Best of luck working through this.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

That's a really difficult dilemma.

My wife is a midwife and we travelled once in Kenya when she was pregnant, but she took the old anti-malarials, which were safe in pregancy but are no longer effective.

The chances of getting malaria, if you don't use any anti-malarials but take every precaution (mosquito nets, repellant on from top to toe every afternoon at 4.30pm) are very small, but there is a risk.

Sadly, I think you're going to have to take the hit on the canncelled holiday and move on, and look forward to being a mum! But I would spend all the energy that would otherwise have gone into preparing for the holiday on trying to get some sort of refund, even if not 100% And double-check your insurance policy and call them too.

Good luck with it!

Richard

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

Hi Lisa,a tough situation.Don't know if it is any help but have a look at the link attached,although it is a couple of years old.

netdoctor.co.uk/travel/diseases/pregnancy_an…

If your doctor advises against you travelling and will put that it writing you may be able to claim under your insurance policy.Unfortunately some insurers class pregnancy as a "self inflicted injury"!

Good luck

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

Provided, underlined, there was no evidence or knowledge of pregnancy at the time the Insurance was taken out, most insurers will allow cancellation on doctors advice. If however your were consulting doctor prior to insurance proposal and did not declare same, you are uninsured for anything, let alone pregnancy.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

Lisa - there was a long discussion on this a few years ago. See if you can search for it.

If I remember rightly, the lady concerned did come on her much awaited holiday. She used repellent and nets and covered up. The baby was fine and is now an active child with another sibling. I'll see if I can get more info for you, but our power went off as I was sending my first reply and I don't want that to catch me again!!

Edited: 01 August 2012, 12:37
Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

It is "Help - malaria advice when six weeks pregnant" and is July 2007. I think you can find it if you click on my name! However, we did a bit by private messages as well and I e-mailed her the advice from a Kenyan Malaria expert.

Also there was another one in June or July 2009.

Yankari - can you give the link to these?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

Asifiwe,

Do you mean these?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k1…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1062161-i12204-…

Lisa,

You may find this chapter on pregnancy from the Health Protection Agency's Guidelines for Malaria Prevention useful its the advice your doctor will have been reading

hpa.org.uk/webc/…1206520188365

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

Thanks a lot, Doff. Yes!! Those are the ones. Power is on and off and on.... searching is too slow for me.

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maleria Tablets whilst pregnant

I was in Mombasa 4 months ago. I saw 2 mosquitos there during this time (2 weeks)! I would suggest You NOT to take Malaria tablets. ( I am a doctor myself.) Use repellents and try to be extra cautious (and You probably will be anyway because of Your early pregnancy). Enjoy Your vacation! The ocean and safary are wonderful!