We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal portion in camps

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Meal portion in camps

How's the meal portion in camps (Ambiseli / Mara / Nakuru)? Do I need to bring some snacks (e.g. biscuits, energy bar)?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Meal portion in camps

Okay, sorry, I'm talking about places like Tortilis and Amboseli Porini in Amboseli or most of the smaller camps in the Mara conservancies and Laikipia. It's true, I can't think of anywhere in Tsavo East or West that includes drinks.

Richard

nyc
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Meal portion in camps

loves-yoyo - You will get coffee or tea, but that's about it. No soft-drinks, local beers or wines or even water but for those few small bottles in the bathroom. Sorry!

Further to Richard's comments, a few camps providing beverages - alcoholic and non-alcoholic - at Tsavo West would be Campi ya Kanzi and Ol Donyo; at Tsavo East is Galdessa; in Amboseli there's also Satao Elerai.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Meal portion in camps

Yes, I wasn't including Kampi ya Kanzi which is just outside TW or Ol Donyo Lodge (about 4 hours drive from TW sandi!).

Satao Elerai might do a package/AI deal if you asked, as would Galdessa I'm sure, but their standard terms exclude drinks.

Richard

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
313 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Meal portion in camps

What about Keekorok ?

not a big drinker but like to know the score

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Meal portion in camps

No, Keekorok always charges drinks extra.

The places that include drinks are much smaller and pricier.

Richard

nyc
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Meal portion in camps

Oooops, Kampi ya Kanzi and Ol Donyo are in the Chyulu Hills to the northwest of Tsavo West.

Sateo Elerai does provide beverages if on the 'fly-in' package, rather than if you arrive with own guide/vehicle where these would be extra. And, yes... my error re Galdessa, but one can inquire about the beverage supplement.

Again, unless guests are heavy drinkers even if only soft drinks, the beverage (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) is rather costly; better pay as you go.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
60 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Meal portion in camps

"I've stayed in a mix of camps, some "better" (depends on opinion) and some basic. I've never had drinks (excluding water) included in my package. In fact, two of the "better" ones were Finch Hattons and Severin Safari Camp and neither of them included drinks in the overall cost of safari"

Slightly off topic I know but can I just say that I've stayed at Finch Hattons it was the single best decision I've ever made.

I cannot put into words how incredible that place is.

If you go anywhere near Tsavo West it would be a serious crime not to stay there at least one night.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Meal portion in camps

What I remember most during stay at Finch Hatton's - their meals. I still can taste the soups - pumpkin, celery, spinach - and I'm not a soup person... quite an amazing chef.

The camp with about 30/tents is divided in sections, with my favorite being the smallest on the far side of the ponds - containing crocs and hippos - where there are only 6-7/tents vs the other areas with many more tents. Personal only.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Meal portion in camps

Inchpractice - couldn't agree more, loved Finch Hattons.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Meal portion in camps

Enquired to go to Finch Hattons...extra $380 :( out of the price range