We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it easy to have diarrhea?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it easy to have diarrhea?

Hi,

Is it easy to have diarrhea? Because not used to the food and water? Please share your experience, thanks!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,790 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it easy to have diarrhea?

Very easy, eat a box of Prunes.

London
Level Contributor
304 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it easy to have diarrhea?

Damn! Beat me to it! LOL

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it easy to have diarrhea?

You can pick up diarrhea wherever you travel if you don't take some precaution. But assuming you will be on a safari, it is unlikely you will have to deal with it---I think most will tell you here that diarrhea is not a problem if doing the usual touristic activities (unless of course you eat that bag of prunes with a 6-pack). Meals will be well prepared, and you can stick with bottled water or other bottled beverages. If out and about don't eat peeled fruits and don't eat from street vendors. Just in case though, it doesn't hurt to bring along some diarrhea pills and even some cipro (ask your doctor for drug and directions for use, which normally will call for dosing for 1-3 days). Shouldn't be a worry though.

Edited: 12 August 2012, 16:09
Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it easy to have diarrhea?

I've been visiting Kenya for many years now, and with the exception of one visit, I've always had the trots for one/two days.

I've also tried varying what I eat (salad or no salad etc), I think it's more down to the amount of fruit juices, heat and malaria tablets. Last visit in April I was really well let's hope that continues.

Just a tip, most bugs/viruses are carried on money and certainly some of the notes in Kenya are rather grubby. Take some hand gel with you to be on the safe side and I NEVER travel to Kenya without my diarrhea tablets.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it easy to have diarrhea?

Often tummy issues are brought on by long flights, unusual schedules once at your destination (early up, insufficient time to use the loo), strange weather patterns, rather than the food. But follow all precautions as mentioned above as you would anywhere in the world. Always travel with tummy meds and Cipro as a back-up which script you'll have to get from your doctor.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it easy to have diarrhea?

I find that if I use doxycycline for malaria I won't have problems. If I use any other prophylatic I'll suffer from travellers tummy. Now I always travel with a MASTA Diarrhoea Treatment Kit. It was a God send in Uzbekistan. I hope never to need it again but I wouldn't go anywhere in the world now without one!

http://www.masta-travel-health.com/prices

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,474 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it easy to have diarrhea?

Yes, it is very easy!

So:- Peel it, boil it or forget it.

Exercise hand hygiene. Avoid Water Melon.

("Insufficient time to use the loo??") You make time! I never go till I've been!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it easy to have diarrhea?

Is malaria tablets a must?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it easy to have diarrhea?

Should I avoid salad, icecream, cereal, yoghurt etc?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,023 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it easy to have diarrhea?

Yes anti-malarials are a must, discuss with your doctor which is most suitable for your in relation to your medical history.

I wouldn't worry too much about diarrhoea, although you are going into the wilds of Africa you will be cocooned in bubbles of civilisation, you are not going off the beaten track you are following in the footsteps of 1.25 million other visitors in the last year, you will be staying in hotels and lodges that cater primarily to first world clients. A westerner is probably more likely to get an upset stomach visiting Hong Kong that visiting Kenya. There are many other likely causes for upset stomachs other than hygiene: the heat; dehydration; change of diet; new and different spices; recreational water illness and especially in All Inclusive hotels, too much food, too much drink, too much fruit

I now live here but when I was a regular visitor staying amongst the locals, I ate (and still do eat) salads, fruit from road side stalls including watermelon, ice cream, food in local bars and locals' restaurants, cereals, yoghurt and drink milk (milk here is usually pasteurised or UHT treated).I have ice in a gin and tonic if I know the place makes its ice from purified water (most do). I've had the odd upset stomach but to be fair they were mainly in the times I was here on holiday and usually had more to do with extended periods of too beer than any food. ヅ