We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM Charity Baggage

Durham
Level Contributor
651 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
KLM Charity Baggage

I am e-mailing KLM as I would like to carry two fold up bicycles to Kenya for an orphanage. KLM have replied saying they do not allow this a they give money to their identified charities. There are four of us travelling so its not as though we are asking to take two each and they are folding and packed in cardboard. I have also asked could we take them at a reduced cost but they are not giving what so ever. I have e-mailed tonight to see if a manager could make a decsion but failing this I dont know what else to do as I really need to get these bicycles to Kenya for the orphans. Any suggestions?

I have also posted this on the Air travel forum

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KLM Charity Baggage

Pay the ecxcess...............

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KLM Charity Baggage

excess even....................

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KLM Charity Baggage

use your luggage allowance

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KLM Charity Baggage

The KLM excess for bicycles is 200€ each. As they are folded and packed you could claim they are packages / parcels. You could try taking one piece of luggage and claiming a bicycle as your second piece as DD suggests, but as a package / parcel rather than a bicycle (if you tell them it is a bicycle they will probably charge you). You could argue that folding bikes are not bikes in that they are allowed on public transport such as trains, buses and the Underground / Metro lines whilst conventional bicycles are not.

If you are already taking two items each then the charge for a third item is also 200€

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KLM Charity Baggage

PS I doubt you will have any luck with the manager, the policy is clearly stated on their website

❝KLM AirCares does not honor any requests allowing free transport of excess baggage.❞

from

klm.com/corporate/…index.html

Durham
Level Contributor
651 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KLM Charity Baggage

Thanks I just thought it was worth a try

I will just leave them at home and take them to a different country when I use an airline that will carry them

Durham
Level Contributor
651 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KLM Charity Baggage

Val I think there is no need to state the obvious not really helpful!!

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,625 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KLM Charity Baggage

Might it not be cheaper* to buy bicycles in country thus supporting the local economy, benefitting the charity as you wished to, and also keeping your baggage within KLM's limits?

* 'cheaper' as in costing less than 200€ ...

Durham
Level Contributor
651 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KLM Charity Baggage

Yes I understand that but I have the bicycles they are unwanted gifts that I wanted someone to have use of

I understand about purchasing goods in kenya I am to do that too having raised a substantial ammount of money

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KLM Charity Baggage

It will be a miracle if KLM give any Charity Baggage Allowance, you might stand a chance with KQ but KLM have refused me many times & even have charged me excess baggage charges at Manchester Airport when they can plainly see medicines & other items that can only be going to a charity.

Where are you going to as there are many good bicycle shops on the North Coast where you can hassle for a better deal.