We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari activities near Kitale

vail
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Safari activities near Kitale

Hi all,

I'l be traveling to Kitale for about 10 days between Monday, September 10th and Thursday the 20th. My schedule is pretty tight, but I'd love it if I could figure out how to get out and see some wildlife on one of my mornings. As much as I'd love to do a multi-day safari, it just isn't in the cards for this trip.

Are there any recommendations of operators, or things to see in that portion of Kenya? Would we be able to see any of the migration in that part of Kenya? Thanks for any info!

-jon

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari activities near Kitale

Sorry, Jon, no migration up here!!

Saiwa Swamp is not far from Kitale. The rare sitatunga antelope can be seen there. For animals, you can go to Delta Crescent. I've not been there myself, but visitors love it - especially children!!

If you have time, it is not so far to Mt Elgon Park, but I think you'd need a day, not just a morning!

Where exactly are you based? In Kitale or near Kitale?

vail
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari activities near Kitale

Thanks for the info!

We will be located in Kitale. We fly into Nairobi and have to wait quite a while for our flight to Kitale. I'm wondering if we might be able to find a morning game drive near Nairobi that would at least afford us the chance to see some wildlife.

-jon

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari activities near Kitale

How long is your wait?

vail
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari activities near Kitale

we get in at about 6am and leave for Kitale around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari activities near Kitale

Nairobi National Park is very near the airport. Maybe you could organise a tour operator to take you there but do you think you'd really be up for a dash around the park if you've had a long flight?

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari activities near Kitale

Going back to Asifiwe's suggestions, Saiwa Swamp NP is a bit tame on animals, the sitatunga antelope hides itself pretty well & I can't recall seeing anything else. Delta Crescent is pretty cool, there's not many places that you can walk amongst the animals or ride an ostrich but it's not a safari, if that's what you're after. Looks like Nairobi NP is your only real option of seeing what, it appears, you're after. You'll be pretty shattered after your flight but it's amazing how a few animals can wake you up.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari activities near Kitale

NNP is a great suggestion, especially at that time of day. It's beautiful, and teeming with animals. Best thing is from JKIA you can enter through East Gate and spend several hours there, then go out the same way or Langata Gate for Wilson.

Richard

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari activities near Kitale

Richard - the only Kitale flight I know of is Fly 540, which goes from JKIA. A problem there is that they have a habit of changing flight times, so it is best to confirm that before going on a NNP safari!!

Edited: 30 August 2012, 08:24
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari activities near Kitale

Nairobi National Park is a good option coz its only 8km from the city centre and few minites drive from Wilson Airport..NNP holds a variey of flora and fauna including 4 of the big five despite being very near the CBD.I know a tour company that can arrange 4 u the excursion and transfer at a good price.Email them Anstetours@anstegroup.com

vail
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari activities near Kitale

Thanks guys! NNP sounds like an excellent option. What would be the best way to set something up for that?