We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Education costs in Kenya

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Education costs in Kenya

I would like to learn a little about education in Kenya. I understand that Primary education is free ??? What about Secondary education ... does this have to be paid for by everybody ?

Then if someone wanted their child to do Higher Education what are the costs ... for a Diploma for example.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Education costs in Kenya

Secondary Education is meant to be free as well, however there are many costs that creep in. We sponsor several kids a year at secondary level and on average with uniforms, boarding, etc. spend approx. Kshs 40-60,000 on each one.

For college it depends on if it is private or public. Fee's would be anywhere from Kshs 5000 to 45000 per term.

Hope that helps.

RWA

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Education costs in Kenya

So if I wanted to sponsor somebody to do a Diploma ....would £40 / £50 per month be sufficient .

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Education costs in Kenya

It should be, but it is best to pay the school direct, rather then give the money to the student. Ask for the admission letter, as well as fee sheet. The fee sheet will give you a break down of fee's, and other costs. Then pay this direct to the college. You may have to pay one term at a time.

The student may need money for text books, as well as incidentals. This you can give to them directly if you so choose.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Education costs in Kenya

Oh ... Thanks for the info. I have not been asked for this at all. A young man who befriended myself and daughter on the beach. He did not ask for anything whilst we were there and has not done so since we got back ... Has only offered to take us to his home when we go back and let his family teach my daughter some cooking.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Education costs in Kenya

No school in Kenya is "free" ..to attend a government school the child needs to pay an "Enrolement fee from 600/- to 1,000/- per term plus Uniform - PE kit shoes - pencil - books and "enviromental fee" all tuition after 12 am is extra - payable to the headmaster with lessons from 30/- to 60/- per child . . All exams have to be paid for 70/- - 120/- plus around 8 books are needed at a cost of 450/- - 999/- per book .each child has to pay for a report book 50bob .

Secondary education normally is a Boarding school ( nothing like Eton ) the child needs Strong lockable box - mattress- bedding -cup plate and spoon - shopping ( 4,000/- per term) transport Uniforms shoes and books plus a bag .

A government school which is very hard to get a child in , costs 18,000/- for the first term 12,400/- second and 4,000/- third term plus extra curriculum activies around 1-2.500/- per activity per term ... shopping - toiletries and drinks are extra ..

To sponsor a child is a fantastic gift - for the child it is one step up the ladder out of the poverty trap ... think hard - think long term then commit to it . ..

University is another expensive commitment as not all children will qualify for a government grant ....

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Education costs in Kenya

Oh ... Thanks for the info. I have not been asked for this at all. A young man who befriended myself and daughter on the beach. He did not ask for anything whilst we were there and has not done so since we got back ... Has only offered to take us to his home when we go back and let his family teach my daughter some cooking.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Education costs in Kenya

Are the schools regulated??? Can anyone set up a private school and are there National Curriculum guidlines

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Education costs in Kenya

The school curriculum is developed by the Kenya Institute of Education in partnership with the Kenya National Examination Council. Schools are regulated by school committees and at a district, then national level.

I understand that anyone can establish a school, but must obtain the appropriate government permission to operate legally. Some private schools (usually the more expensive ones) run the UK (or more rarely, US) curriculum, rather than the Kenyan 8-4-4 system.

I am 99% sure that where we are, the levies mentioned by Drakesdrum are not applied. I have quite a few neices and nephews who are in primary school 'upcountry' and they don't pay for lessons after 12, or for exams. They do pay a small enrolement fee, plus uniform, pencils and exercise books, These levies have crept back since 2003, (not always legally) as schools struggle to make ends meet.

Regarding sponsorship; a friend of mine sponsored one of my sisters-in-law through a 2 year diploma in hairdressing & beauty. He gave £100 per month, which covered school costs, transport and accommodation. The thought of sponsoring is a fantastic gift, I am not sure that £40 - £50 would be enough.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 09:29
manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Education costs in Kenya

We currently sponsor about 270 children. Costs vary from a few pounds for uniform etc for primary school chldren to about £200 per year for secondary. funding for Higher and Further education varies widely depending on the course and the university. To give you an example - I am currently sponsoring 2 girls to do Hospitality Management is Nairobi. It is £2400 per student per annum plus living costs. We have also been sponsoring a Masters Degree for one girl at £1000 per semester (3 semesters per year) plus living costs. we have young people training in Nursing, Teaching, Agriculture, Hairdressing and so on.

The important thing with all this though is that we can only do it because we have people in Kenya that we trust to oversee the training and education and who make sure the funds are spent appropriately and the children attend their courses. We have had problems in the past so this contact is essential.

Its a mine field really and its possible to do more harm than good. Message me if you need more info.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 09:58
plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Education costs in Kenya

Several Government schools in and around Mombasa do I assure you levie these fees .... if a childs parents have not paid for the enrolement fee- enviromental fee - afternoon tuition or exam fees -they are sent home ! or as in one case recently through a mix up - two little children were sat down on the floor to face a wall, rather than the class, so they did not recieve "free" learning. harsh but true,

Sponsorship should be a long term commitment . the rewards are wonderful .