We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Bagshot, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

Is Kenya, in particular, Nairobi & Mombasa, is it really safe, If you read the Foriegn office web site you start to have doubts.

Thinking of going on safari for our 25th wedding anniversary, and would like to include some beach time, was considering visiting the Masai Mara, any information would be useful.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Hi,

Thankfully, at the moment, things are pretty quiet. the recent Mombasa riots seem to of passed by and people getting on with trying to earn a few quid for the next meal and bill. As for the grenade attacks well you would need a crystal ball as they have been sporadic but tourists have not and hopefully will not be targeted.

Nairobi is fine as long as you don't leave your common sense at home. Use a taxi after dark door to door.

Mombasa is a beach resort so it as safe as any other really.

As for your safari trip I don't see what could happen that would warrant any worries to cause for concern.

The FO have to give caution as if they did not and it's citizens were having regular problems then...

I'm off to Nairobi and Mombasa next month. I am not expecting any problems.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

The two mention places they are quite safe nothing to worry. All the best.

Australia
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

We researched travel advisory warnings before our recent trip. Overall, Kenya has the same warning status as some other reasonably popular destinations, eg Thailand.

Within Kenya there are more risky areas - near the Somali border etc.

We had one night in Nairobi, were cautious about our airport transfers, and had a fantastic holiday.

Check the advice given by your government, exercise sensible caution, don't overreact, and have a great holiday.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

There are around 1¼ million tourists a year in Kenya, of course 3 of them were involved in the incidents that sparked the current situation, the kidnappings in the relatively remote Lamu area, now much more secure due to presence of security forces and the fact that the Kenyan army have driven the pirates and Al Shabaab far from their previous bases just over the border in Somali.

Since then there have been sporadic grenade attacks, all on locals in working class bars, churches, bus stations, etc none in general tourist areas and none involving tourists. As Malla says no-one knows when or where there might be another of these, and if there are more sadly for those involved it will be a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Us Brits have lived with that threat for decades first from the IRA and latterly from Al Qaeda.

If you were scared off by FO warnings you would never go anywhere, imagine if they had to write one for the UK, London, Birmingham, Manchester, etc ... history of terrorist attacks, murders, muggings, knifings, shootings, riots, occupations, no-go areas for older folk in town centres on weekend nights due to herds of rampant drunken youths.....

N. Staffordshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

I worried about my recent visit to the extent that I was having anxiety attacks and had to visit the doctor to get medication. I panicked about being kidnapped or about being somewhere that was bombed. The week before we travelled there were riots in the streets of Mombasa

All totally unfounded, we had 5 days at Diani Beach and 5 days in Meru and had a wonderful time, I was also worried about the food so we were careful what we ate and managed to not be ill at all (amazing given our track record for sickness on holidays)

I'll definitely be going back to kenya

christchurch, nz
Level Contributor
15 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

I'm just back from 10 weeks east Africa and felt very safe. Would highly recommend a visit to lamu it is amazing! I stayed at shela beach and there are some great deals to be had at the moment due to lack of tourism. It's a truely magical place. I was travelling alone a blonde female and had no problems.

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

Ok now you have my attention...... My daughter has wanted to go to Africa for as long as I can remember so for her graduation present I was thinking about taking her this summer (to Kenya) but it would just be the two of us and we are both very, very blonde and fair skin. I have been somewhat concerned about the response. I have traveled quit a bit and it has been a mixed response, often times very, very uncomfortable. Can you give me any in site to this. I took her to Italy last year and they were quit flirty with us but not so much in a creapy way as some of the other places I have been.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

Sorry I'm not sure what you are concerned about, are you worried that they'll find exotically attractive? A mzungu (white person) is a mzungu to the Africans, we all look the same to them. When they see white skin they just money ヅ

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety

" I was thinking about taking her this summer (to Kenya) but it would just be the two of us and we are both very, very blonde and fair skin".

I think you should be more worried about the strength of the hot African sun.

Seriously as Doff say's wazungu are all the same to Kenyans.

Wazungu = $$$$$$$$$$$ £££££££££

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety

Doesn't surprise that the Italians were flirty... that's what they're known for regardless with blond, brown or red hair. :-)

Otherwise, wazungu are just that............ (travelers) white and mostly with $$$$ to spend in their wonderful country.

It might also surprise just how many borne Kenyans are as white as you/daughter and with blond hair. And they too have to slather on the SPF to protect their skin. Kenya has a mixed society of every hue!

Edited: 03 February 2013, 19:23