We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

Hi .

My family (4 adults)are going on safari next February to the northern areas of Kenya.Our itinerary at the moment is as follows .

hotels can be moved back a day or 2.

Manchester to Nairobi (boulevard).day at national park .

out up the east side of mount Kenya stopping at Embu (Izzac Walton hotel) for the night

.then 2 night at Meru (Ikweta safari camp).

then 2 nights at Shaba (Sorova)

then 2 nights at Samburu (Samburu lodge)

then 2 spare nights ...............................

then 2 nights at ol Pejeta (Sweetwater)

then 1 night at Abadare country club .

then 2 nights at Nakuru( flamingo hill camp )

then back to the Fairview for 1 night and day for late flight home .

we have already been to Navaisha on a previous holiday .

We were going to stay at lewa house for the 2 days but bit of a misunderstanding on price has now given us the chance to change our plans slightly .We like the big cats and elephants and giraffes.

Was hoping somebody might have a idea were we could go not to dear sort of sopa/sorova prices would be good and we have are own driver .

Come on rack your brains for a nice camp or good idea to fill our spaces .

Hope you all can help.

Julie

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

So many places… 

What about El Karama, about an hour northwest of Nanyuki in Laikipia, so easy to do from Samburu en route to Ol Pejeta.

http://www.laikipiasafaris.com/

It's a beautiful spot, tons of wildlife, great food, well priced.

Richard

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

How about Castle Forest Lodge in Mt Kenya ?

http://www.castleforestlodge.com/

Chance are that you will see elephants coming there to drink water from the pool.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

Thanks

both look lovely I thought I had done a good job of searching the internet but there's always more to find . I wonder if BA .will extended our flights keep finding more places I want to see..

Richard I know it sounds like a lot of lodges at least were staying 2 days at them this year, last year we did a few 1 night stays didn't even see the pools and cant remember the meals.

will email shadrack today with your ideas i know hed give us a good plan ,but its part of my holiday making informed choices .

cant wait to get back.

thanks again .

julie

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

Julie, I would add an extra night at Meru and Samburu. 3 nights I find allows you to explore a lot more.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

Or proceed to Masai Mara for 2 nights after Nakuru, then back to Nairobi

Allan

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

I too wondered 'why no stop at the Masai Mara?'

Every visit, regardless where else I stop... still always spend a few days in the Mara where never disappointment in amount of game regardless time of year.

I'd do 3/nts at Samburu only rather than 1-2 Shaba/Samburu (usually more game at Samburu).

And, on departing Nakuru head to the Mara.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

hi .

thanks all for you ideas going to spend the evening checking the hotels out . .

no mara im afraid we went last year in febuary maybe not the best time ,but sadly we didnt see as much as we expected .just lots of yellow grass the same height as the lions, we really only saw a couple of lions ,no leopards and a cheetah so far off i have a spot on my photos even with my lense at 300mm.

we did see a black rhino though 2 mins after we went through the gate .

its such a long drive 6 hours and im trying to keep drive time to 4 hours tops .

im hoping as well that maybe the parks in the north arnt as popular as the mara and ambosili so hopefully will be quieter.

we are going on 22 feb till 10march so might be the only tourists in the country anyway .

julie

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

Do know that when traveling between Jan-Mar the temperature is very hot, even more so the farther north... Samburu temps can reach into the 90s or higher.

Also as it's hot/dry not unusual to see lots of tall yellow grass especially inside the Mara Reserve itself, where if staying on the adjacent Conservancies the grass always seems to be shorter.

The amount of game one will see will vary from year-to-year, visit-to-visit, so if one year there are less, the next can be more.

Granted the drive from Nakuru is long, but if the budget can handle it, a drive south 1/hr to Naivasha where there is a 3:30pm flight to the Mara.

But decision to visit the Mara or not... your choice.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 22:12
9. Re: ideas for 2 extra days at a safari park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2013, 10:16