We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

Dubai based group Emaar Hospitality are to open a golf course near the Masai Mara

ameinfo.com/emaar-hospitality-strengthens-af…

With drought issues in the Mara, where will they get the water for the golf course?

Another knife to the Mara:(

Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

Thanks for sharing this on TA.

Yes, I read about this yesterday. KATO & KTB should step in to put a stop to this on environmental and conservation grounds... We do not want another Skukuza Golf Course existent in Kruger - the same in the Mara.

Over 100 camps in the Mara which is 1/10 the size of the Serengeti which has less than half the camps.. enough is enough..

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

faux grass maybe? doubtful!

recycled water? use and reuse!

neither is a good idea IMHO

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

Really...

surely there has got to be someone out in kenya who can stop this attocity?

What will they do if the animals get to the greens? Or do they intend fencing off the whole area.

I will admit to not having read the artical, but for a country that has just come second in the world for ECO tourism, I really don't see how the country can go with this version of investment

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

Kenya - 2nd in the world for ECO Tourism? That is a joke. Must have been only two entrants.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

No, there was only one entry!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

❝ KATO & KTB should step in to put a stop to this on environmental and conservation grounds.❞

I'm afraid KATO carries absolutely no weight in these things (and probably has members offering golf tour packages anyway) and KTB is in partnership with the Kenya Golf Marketing Alliance. Presumably it was KTB that entered Kenya's golf courses in the World Travel Awards (it Tweeted the results)

worldtravelawards.com/award-kenyas-leading-g…

A few days ago the Minister of Tourism dismissed concerns over the number of airlines cancelling or not renewing Kenyan routes, by saying something along the lines of: it won't affect tourism we no longer rely entirely on beach and safari holidays from the traditional markets the government has spent a lot of time and money marketing Kenya in new markets (China, Korea, etc) and it has moved into the ecotourism and sports tourism markets, it has been marketing Kenya as a unique golf tourism location.

As a golfer I'm at a bit of a loss quite how golf and ecotourism sit together, given the massive amount of water and fertiliser / weedkiller needed to keep golf courses green and manicured. (Not so much of a problem at my course which would by now have been developed for housing if it wasn't a golf course and with plentiful supplies of water from the aquifer below)

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

The golf course at Taita Hills often have impala grazing on it.

Nairobi
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

This is not good news for the Mara...Kenya Ministry of Tourism should put a stop to this.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

Just as they did for the Serengeti Highway, the rest of the world has to get on this - petition to be signed by those worldwide. Doesn't mean that the Serengeti decision hasn't been diffiicult and why they arrived at what they did, which while what ever they claim - for local communities have access to the outside world... seems it's mostly to be able to extract chemicals from Lake Victoria for transport to China to build 'our toys'

A friend had heard of this golf course sometime back from a Masai guide, to whom she asked "are you sure you ain't smokin' something?' ... well, apparently not.

Why not just improve the courses in NBO or place this in an area that doesn't conflict with a world famous game reserve?

Always beats me where the truth is in such situations, but governments have to be made to understand that the outside world is watching.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Masai Mara - Golf course to be opened in 2013

I'm no big fan of golf courses myself, but I understood it was being laid out on a private farm. Does anyone actually know exactly where it is located?

I understand from this piece:

constructionkenya.com/2478/…

that it's near Narok, but that might just refer to the council. But 1300 acres (2 square miles) is pretty small beer in the scale of what's going on across Kenya.

What would be admirable, if they could achieve it, would be bringing in the visitors and jobs, and doing the whole thing sustainably…

Richard