We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
531 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

We will be ending our Tanzania safari at Isabania at the end of July 2013 & would like to go to the Mara for 3 nights & before catching our flight home from NBO.

We are only interested in camps with 10 or less tents. Looking for a little bit of luxury for our last 3 nights of our trip.

Would like to include one night of fly camping and a night game drive.

Any recomendations would be great since I would like to approach TO with some general idea of where to stay. The Tanzania portion of our trip is booked but I can alter the ending drop off pont from Isabania to an airport if needed.

Ideas anyone?

Best Camping Tours & Safaris
Safaris, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Kenya Bush Expeditions Tours and Travel
Safaris, Hiking & Camping Tours, Multi-day Tours
Ahambi Tours
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours
1. Re: 3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 12:52
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

I stayed at 2 of Kicheche's camps in Feb- they are all less than 10 tents, with Kicheche Valley and Bush being only 6 tents. I think they all offer fly camping, but night drives only at Kicheche Valley. I stayed at Kicheche Mara and Kicheche Valley, and I thought Mara was better for game viewing but Valley is a more luxurious camp. The rooms at Valley were lovely with stunning views.

I can't help with a TO as I booked directly with Kicheche, but they can organise some logistics eg they booked my flights for me.

I considered some other camps and ones I looked at that were similar in style to Kicheche were the Offbeat camps and the Porini camps. They're also small tented camps.

Near London
Level Contributor
119 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

"Would like to include one night of fly camping and a night game drive"

I'm sure others can confirm or correct me but I don't think night game drives are permitted in the mara.

Boston...
Level Contributor
824 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

we stayed at Bataleur last September for a couple of nights... it really is spectacular from the minute you step off the plane and they greet you..it's a lot of luxury!

andbeyondafrica.com/luxury_safari/kenya/masa…

.. we flew in and we did a night game drive

Kisumu, Kenya
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

olare camp

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

my friends and i were in Ilkeliani camp when we were in kenia. The camp is located in a small river glade in central Mara. The spacious guest tents are all en-suite,well spaced and sited along the Talek River,thereby ensuring maximum privacy with well furnished bar-lounge and viewing deck overlook the plains and hills,where you can enjoy watching the emerging wildlife in the plains and spectacular sunsets and day and night game drives,hot air balloon,community visits and a walking safaris. Cheers enjoy your safari.

Nairobi, Kenya
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

If you are looking for a small Camp you can try Acaluma Camp.The Camp near Musiara Gate is situated overlooking the musiara Plains and has just 4 tents. See the links below:

maasaimara.com/accommodation/…acaluma-camp

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
531 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

Thank you all for the tips, but now that I have received some quotes it`s time to re-evaluate a bit.

I was frankly blown away by quotes starting at $6000 for 3 nights in the Olare Orok conservancy. Some of them drive us from Isibania to the camp and then fly us on to Nairobi, others fly us both ways. All only include one actual game drive in the Maasai Mara. We are traveling with our 13 yr old, so he at least gets a discount, but still. Wow.

So....I am asking for more tips from the experts TA on accomodations within the Mara.

I should be clear that we are not interested in self-catering at a camp. Also we would like to stay away from huge lodges that cater to big families.

So.....any more ideas out there???

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
531 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

Is there generally any diference in cost between booking camps/lodges directly versus using an agent in Kenya?

I did find that I am not able to book any flights os Safarilink myself.......nor have they responded after I contacted them thru their site.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
531 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in Mara....where to stay?

Is there generally any diference in cost between booking camps/lodges directly versus using an agent in Kenya?

I did find that I am not able to book any flights os Safarilink myself.......nor have they responded after I contacted them thru their site.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 20:48