We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a safari this May a good idea?

London
Level Contributor
56 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Is a safari this May a good idea?

Hello everyone

My husband and I have been planning to go to Kenya for the last couple of years but sadly had to cancel our trips twice due to ill health.

I have found what looks like a good deal travelling out in the last week of May for 7 nights - 2 nights Aberdares (Outspan and The Ark), 2 nights Ashnil Sambaru, 2 nights Ashnil Mara and 1 night Naivasha Sopa Lodge.

I have 2 concerns: First, the elections in March - I read on another forum that some people were recommending no travel until July in case of violence. Second, the weather. I have read that March to May is the rainy season and some roads become impassable and it would be a shame to have a trip of the lifetime and not be able to access some places...

Could anyone shed any light on the weather situation and any opinions on how the election might be going?! Realise that is tough to call but any advice from the ground v much appreciated.

Thank you :-)

Elizabeth

Voluntours Adventures
Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Serian Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a safari this May a good idea?

Elections should not really deter you. Right now is just campaigning time and there isn't much to worry about. The elections will have been over by close to two Months and everything will have been bakc to normal. The roads are all good along that circuit and so this will not deter you from accessing any of the places you have mentioned. Request for an all weather safari vehicle to navigate through the parks.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,175 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a safari this May a good idea?

<< the elections will have been over by close to two Months>>

Not necessarily so, there is a fairly strong possibility that there could be a run-off between the top two contenders for the Presidency in April.

Under the new Constitution the winner of the Presidential election must get more than 50 per cent of the total votes cast and at least 25 per cent of votes in half of the country's 47 counties to be declared winner. If there is not a clear winner in round one, there will be a run-off election between first and second scheduled for 11 April.

Everyone is hoping that there will not be a repeat of the 2007 / 8 post-election violence though the signs are not great, hopefully the country will be peaceful at the end of May but it cannot be guaranteed. You should be sufficiently far away from the election date that the position would be sufficiently clear before you are scheduled to go. If there is trouble that might impinge on you the UK Government would issue appropriate advice and if the government advises against travel the insurance companies should pay out.

As for the weather there is no guarantee the rains will arrive and if they do they don't stop game drives as they are usually short but torrential and often occur in the late afternoon or overnight

3. Re: Is a safari this May a good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 January 2013, 16:05
nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a safari this May a good idea?

If the routing of this safari is as shown:

>>7 nights - 2 nights Aberdares (Outspan and The Ark), 2 nights Ashnil Sambaru, 2 nights Ashnil Mara and 1 night Naivasha Sopa Lodge.<<

It's a 2/hr drive to Aberdares/Ark, then about 4/hrs to Samburu... easy enough.

But there is NO WAY you can drive from Samburu to the Mara in 1/day... it's got to be a flight.

From the Mara, if Ashnil Camp which is in the southern area, it'll be about a 6+/hrs drive to Naivasha and then 2/hrs back to Nairobi.

Regarding the Ashnil Mara, which I've commented on often and don't recommend - having been built under protest on a Rhino Sanctuary, in the southern Mara, which camp is fenced with lots of concrete and not very eco-friendly and during this time of year with or after the rains, the grasses will be very very tall, which can make it difficult to spot game (not elephants or giraffe or buffalo, but anything small will be well hidden).

Mentioned in this post
London
Level Contributor
56 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a safari this May a good idea?

Thank you very much for your comments. We really want to go and will get there eventually I'm sure! Might see if we can afford to push it back a few months.

4sandi those are the stops but not in the right order so hopefully doable in the right order: just hope there are enough toilet breaks on the longer drives!

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a safari this May a good idea?

Having out to Diani 35 times since 1996 the troubles and elections which we were all caught up in did not deter us. Go on your safari and Enjoy!!!!!

Edited: 04 January 2013, 13:06
Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
447 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a safari this May a good idea?

4Sandi always has a go at the Ashnil Mara so I throw in my opinion and say for value, comfort and good food you cant go far wrong. The rhinos moved to another area and seem happy and lots of people got good jobs. Enjoy your Safari

8. Re: Is a safari this May a good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 03:15